How to use bluegill?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tomcat85, Sep 6, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    friday im going out about one to catch some bluegill to use during the day. i was wondering how you use the for bait cutting them up etc... any tips would be great thank you.

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are fishing for flatheads, keep the bluegills alive. I like to hook them right behind the dorsal fin.

If you are fishing for channels, it is best to cut them up. My favorite part is the head. Depending on the size, I cut them different. If it is a large bluegill, I'll cut the head off in a V shape. I guess it would be more of a shape like this >. It almost ends up like a diamond shape. I hook them right in one eye and out the other. If you are using circles though, you might want to hook them another way. That might not provide the gap you need for circles. If it is a small bluegill, I'll just cut it straight down after the gills. You can usually get 2 or 3 pieces of bait out of the body depending on the size of gill. Just cut them up into 1 inch squares. Use the meatiest parts. I always cut the tail off and never use it. Just a personal preference.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Phil pretty much said it. I recently found that flatties seem to be more partial to live gills than cut ones. I took the advice of another BOC member and it has worked for the most part. However, some days it has been so hot that gills are really hard to get so when the bait supply is low, I will cut them into bloody chunks. The head seems to be te best part. Just make sure that you put the hook all the way through the bait I have missed a few when I dont.

4. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Normally, I prefer to keep my gill alive. I hook them different ways, depending upon the area, type (river or lake) and depth of water I am fishing.

If I cut them, I usually just use the head but making sure that the entrails are still attached and trailing behind the head.

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I agree with Phil . Good Luck fishing, Let us know what you catch

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys hopefully i can catch some gills on friday then go out and do some fishing! this is the first time im ever going to try this so hopefully i get something lol

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Live and heads do the best for the channels and blues I catch. One day, all my gills died on me because of the heat, but it turned out to be a great day. Threw the dead gills in the cooler and used them for cut bait. Caught 17 from 2-6 lbs...no biggies, but fun...all on heads.

8. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i like to cut the dorsil fins off and cut the tail off enough to get a little blood and ive been having good luck. good luck to ya.