How to use baitclicker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lj catman, Jul 21, 2007.

1. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    i have a abu garcia 6000 baitcasting reel how do i set the baitclicker so the fish can take some line. when i cast do i leave spool on freespool and then turn on my clicker. and what hooks are good for using with a baitclicker .

1. kahle hooks
    2. circle hooks
    3. j hooks

i been using circle hooks lately i know there to be hook they self but i get light biters and always try to set hook

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    FREE SPOOL with clicker engauged (disengauge clicker while reeling in
    and really hook prefrence is upto you i usyally use j hooks

3. lj catman

lj catman New Member

State:
    la junta,colorado
    thanks dellis i thouht was how to do it

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    If you are set on using the circles, just put the rod in a strong rod holder and turn the handle. If your drag is set properly, a large fish will take line after he has set the hook in his own jaw. When he does this, the clicker will sound off.:big_smile:

Most people go wrong by forgetting which rod has "J" hooks and which has circles. Make the committment to use the same style hook on all of the rods you use at the same time. It's too late for thinking when the rod is bucking.:smile2:

It's important:
    1. to drive the circle hook through a thinner edge of the bait to expose the maximum hook
    2. NOT to jerk the line to set the circle hook. Have patience and let the fish hook himself.
    3. WAIT for the fish to put a good bend in the rod before you ever pick it up out of the rodholder. Then, keep the line taut and simply pump and crank until the fish is brought to net.
    :wink::crazy::big_smile::big_smile::smile2:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many of us now use Kahle hooks as they work great like a J or a circle hook.If you are going to learn how to use a Circle hook after using J's,a Kahle would be the hook of my choice to use until you learn not to set the hook as it works both ways.The circle hook is a "Government" hook developed for commercial saltwater fishing to reduce death in discarded or released fish.In my belief,no one style of hook will do it all.What works better for small mouthed nibblers than J hooks? Nothing that I know of for people that can feel a bite.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. TPD

TPD New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't used a baitcast yet but I think I may be switching over soon. I think it will be easier to let clicker indicate my bite rather than trying to eagle eye all the rods at once.

7. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Paul, baitcasters are great for cats. I use garcia 5000's and fish santee cooper lakes where we drift fish alot. My preference is a circle hook 5/0-9/0 depending on bait size because i'm lazy, you don't have to cast it out causing backlash (birds nest) just let out your line behind the boat as you are drifting turn the handle engaging the gears (i set my drags light heavy to medium) and set in the rod holder turn on the clicker and relax when he takes the bait and goes to swim away the circle will rotate to the corner of his mouth and WHAP!!! He is stuck. I generaly give him about 10ft or so when the clicker goes off to make sure he's hooked (depending on size) then just pick up the rod and start reeling until I feel what size i'm dealing with then I can adjust the drag acordingly DO NOT REPEAT!! DO NOT SET THE HOOK!! or you will snatch it right out of his mouth. This method has for me about a 95-98% hookup. Good Luck

8. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    If your not familiar with a baitcaster try starting with 1, and use your other rods. Thats what I did so I could still have the other rods while getting all the birdsnests out of the baitcaster. It took me about a year and 10000 birdsnests but I love it now. planning on switching all my rods. Plus as a bonus most people cant use em so they quit trying to use your rods everytime you ask them to go fishing:wink: