How to use a Catalpa Worm

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KYMatt, Jun 2, 2007.

1. KYMatt

KYMatt New Member

Went fishing last night and did not get a single bite using Catalpa Worms. But did catch two small channel using nightcrawlers.

After hearing how well Catalpa Worms work, I came to the conclusion that I must be presenting them wrong.

How do the rest of you guys present the Catalpa Worms?
    Also, what is the biggest fish you have ever caught using Catalpa Worms?

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Cut them in half. Then stick the cut end on the hook first. Then the tail or head. That way the juices and guts gets out of them. Been using them like that for close to 40 years.
    If you use them whole. There not much juice getting out.
    Pete

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I follow the same idea. On smaller worms, cut the ends off and use it that way. On larger worms, cut them in half, then trim the end. If action is slow, I will make a small slit on one end, then insert my hook on the INSIDE of one end, then use a small stick or old pencil to push the worm inside out. Does that make sense? It is definitely messy, but it has worked for me when everything else has failed. My family has used catalpa worms for the past 80 years or so on Reelfoot Lake with great success. My largest catch on a catalpa work is probably 5# or so.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Were starting on the 4th generation of using them. Even used them on jumper lines commercial fishing. And cut in had was the way to go even doing that.
    Love them. And will be Glad when our crop starts in a few weeks.
    I can fill a 150 Qt cooler with eating size and up to 10+ channels and blues per day easy with them.
    Plan on starting a bunch of the trees in pots this fall. And planting a bunch and have a few guys are have been trying to get me to grow them. And then sell them./ So I may try it out and see if I can get them to grow.
    Pete

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    We cut the end off and take a stick and turn them inside out.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have never cut mine before. I just run the hook up the tail and out the head. that hard spot on the head seem to keep them on. I fish the river with them.:big_smile:

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have never cut them either but believe it would probably be better. Most of the time I have just run them on the hook from the tail to the head and fished them under a float in ponds. I've not had much success using them in rivers or reservoirs. Maybe it's because they were not cut. I'll give that a try the next time I use them.

Cheez

8. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    this is the best way to use c. worms. get a small straw or stick hold worm and push head back through body, turning them inside out, its very easy to do. Try it

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the great info Pete & all the other info from the rest!!! Not had much luck with them whole...:lol:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I turn them inside out too, but skip the stick by popping off the head, and running the worm on the hook tail first, and rolling the worm onto the hook inside out. I can't wait to see them worms crawling on my trees soon.