How to use a bluegill for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by daredevle, Aug 19, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i always hear people talking about using a bluegill for bait how do you do this please help from DD good fishing and god bless:big_smile:

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    if ur fishing for flatheads usally keep the bluegale alive, hook it therew the dorsel fin, for blues or channel probbly cut into strips
    hope helps

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    If I'm drifting I like to fillet it and put both sides on one hook and the head on the other.:big_smile:

4. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright brother. There's a couple ways to hook a blue gill, Nostrils, Behind the dorsal fins, through the eye socket, or in the tail. Each way is for different Situations. Eye Socket or Nostrils for moving water or a slight current. Behind the dorsal fin or tail in no current. They also play in a lot wither your fishing with a float or on bottom. The object is to also keep the blue gill distressed so I cut the two fins that have barbs (the bones that hurt if they stick you) Enough that you don't feel them but not into the flesh of the fish and the fan part of the tail. Some people slit the side of the fish not enough to kill them but to let them bleed a little and attract the fish. Just experiment till you find the best way.

5. baitcastingcats

baitcastingcats New Member

State:
    washington
    do you guys fish for blue gill first and then cats or fish earlier for each ?

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like to head out about a couple hours before dark and catch my gills on an ultrlight rod. when i use gills , if i am using them alive, i hook them right in front of the anal fin. if i am using them cut up, my favorite part is the head with entrails haning out, hooked on top, back to front, with hook point coming out right between eyes. but dont be afraid to experiment, what works for us may not work for you. change it up a bit and find what works for you.