Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I've read that when using the 3-way rig, you can use a lighter leader line for your weight so that you can "sacrifice" it and still get back the remainder of your rig, without having to cut the line.

How do you this? I've had dozens of rigs snagged and then had to cut them completely because of snags. How do you get back the rest of the rig while sacrificing the leader with the weight? Also, should I be using mono for my weight leader as well? How long should the leader be, and what kind of sinker? I've generally used about 12" mono with either bell or pyramid.

Any other un-snagging/snagless rig tips are appreciated. I fish rocky rivers with heavy current, and mainly use the santee cooper rig. I've read on these forums that snagless sinkers are good for the santee rig, and that no roll sinkers work as well. I've read that I should not real in the rig right away, but just let it sit there and settle as well.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
136 Posts
The ideal is if the weight is attached with a lighter leader than the main line and it snags you can break off the weight and get everything else back. Once again if the weight snags.

Most use a lighter mono leader to the weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ideal is if the weight is attached with a lighter leader than the main line and it snags you can break off the weight and get everything else back. Once again if the weight snags.

Most use a lighter mono leader to the weight.
How do you break off the weight and get everything else back? Do you just tighten the drag and reel in? Or try to jerk it as hard as possible?

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,221 Posts
Keep something round and long you can wrap your line around. Have rod pointed at snag, then use thingy to pull hard.

An old hamer handle screwdriver etc will work. Have used needlenose handel myself.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Alex, that question can have a couple of correct answers. If your using lighter line like 20 points or less, you can prevent the spool from spinning by using drag and maybe a thumb on the spool while you point the tip of the rod at the snag and pull.

What is important here is the amount of will not be so much as to damage the reel. When your trying to break off it does not make sense to keep the rod tip up causing the rod to double over.

Now it is important to remember that breaking strong line using your reel is a way to damage the axle or gears in your reel. You can pull the line itself by hand but sometimes that it dangerous for your hands. The best answer is to get a 4 to 6 inch length of wooden dowel to keep in your tackle box. Give enough slack in the line to let you wrap the line around the dowel 6 or 7 times then pull on it like starting a lawn mower. Mono line stretches a lot so the closer you are to the snag the easier it will be. Braided line when pulled on by a reel can cause the line to embed itself between other wraps on the spool. This can cause a problem on your next cast. So pulling hard on braid is not a great idea. Braid can easily cut your hands also so the wooden dowel method is important. Try not to let the braid on the dowel overlap. If you get slippage, it can damage your line.

If you are using 65 pound braid as main line, using a 3 way rig, have a 50 pound leader going to your hook and a 25 sound leader going to your sinker and get snagged. Figure on having to pull over 50 pounds to break free. If your use the dowel to break off and it happens to break at 25 pounds you saver your hook and maybe bait. If it breaks at 50 pounds, you lost a hook but saved your sinker.

This was the long version but will keep you from damaging equipment of getting s painful cut from the line. And is easy to go.

A good tip. Whether your bringing a netted fish into the boat or on the bank, or using a dowel to break off from a snag. first let out several feet of slack so you you have enough to get the job done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts