how to treat a record?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well first off most know i have no problems eating fish or to each his own.

but looking at this.:eek:oooh: you fellas ever see a flathead look like this??

is this normal. looks like its in bad shape. they claim he has freezored it. from the condition it looks like to me im not sure its fit to eat. or is this just how some look? i hate wasting. maybe i can get an answer from here. but it (looks) like he needs to find a better way to treat fish. if hes gonna eat them.:eek:oooh:

almost looks as if its began to rot.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...n&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Never seen one that looked like that. I always have a rule of thumb when it comes to any fish or wildlife. If it don't look right, smell right or if I have any questions about the why....I don't eat it. It goes in the ditch somewhere. But no I have never seen a flat look like that.:eek:oooh:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I wouldnt eat that one. What the heck did he do to it? He wouldnt even touch the fish and he said he thought he had a bigger one because it broke 10 lb line. He probably hasnt been on this site before.:smile2: Thanks for postin on what not to do with a fish. Id rather it be eaten then to be completely wasted.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep,, that fish has been dead for awhile. The marks on the back could be regular wear and tear, but you can tell by the sunken old look in the eyes that it is dead. Too bad, it is a lose to the state.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    all animals should be treated with respect and eating a animal is respect and so is releasing him not letting one go bad or freezing him

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i for one if a guy catches a 30lb flathead and wants to eat it fine by me. but this fish looks pityful. ide almost bet it was ditched and to see a state record be wasted. what a shame. im not positive. but that fish looks terrible. even to be cleaned.:eek:oooh:

be honest , ide be imbarressed to take that to the conservation office. i mean they dont care if ya eat em either but if i were a conservation and seen this fish. i think i would at least say "what the hell are ya doing with this fish.?" "eat em or let em go!"

i will fight for being able to eat catches and keep some fish. but i despise killing for records or fun. ive told my son many times when we eat venison, rabbit, or fish from our poles. to try and eat all of it. its bad to waste a life that we took. i guess its a lil different from the store. but when i have killed an animal. we try hard to consume every edible piece of flesh.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Those appear to be spawning marks. The Flatty's are spawning or done spawning depending on where your located. Anyway they can look pretty banged up after the spawn.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang Jeremy, I thought you would eat anything:wink::big_smile:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i will. but not rotton meat. one day ill be posting the skinning of a big flathead. but it will be fresh. that fish looks sickening. i treat my catch like a ribeye. ive seen beat up fish during spawn. this fish looks like its been in the sun a few days dead.:eek:oooh:

hell i behead frogs gut skin and eat like a whole squirrel? why waste the front legs and back straps?

i just cant believe the looks of the fish./ maybe its the pics. if a guy came by here with a 50lber in the bed to skin i would say congrats. but if it was dried up and he said look im gonna go chuck it. i would say great. chuck yourself off the cliff with it. find a tall one too,lol.

maybe its the water area or spawn. but it looks 1/2 decayed to me. and had it in a bag?? i wouldnt be smiling in that pic. ide be disgusted.

give all the shots ya want. it aint the first time ive heard folks saying ide eat anything,lmao at those. they just obviously have more $ than me and have no idea of hard times and making ends meet.

ya ide eat a heron or a snake if it came to it. hell after a beer or two too i suppose. but i have respect for what i kill. unlike our forefathers. :wink:

hell if it makes ya happy to know i ate a junebug once just because my buddie did. he chewed. i just swollowed. HAPPY?:wink:

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    he!! rattle snake is good eating i make mine into a jerky :cool2:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i wanted to try some so bad when i went to arizona. never got the opertunity.:angry:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive had rattler. Been a long time tho. From what I remember not much meat, most of it belly.

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My guess is that flathead probably got thrown up on the bank and rolled around in the sage brush. That would explain all of those marks. Then I imagine it was too big to fit in the cooler so he ran a stringer through its lip and left him in the water until they were ready to go. It is a SUPER dry climate so fish does not do as well out of the water, it drys out quick.

I would cut those Wyoming guys some slack. I went to college in Casper for a little bit and I used to work up there alot when I lived in Colorado and it is a different country. Wide open and isolated. Its unlikely any of those guys had ever seen a fish that big and just did not know how to deal with it.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just can't believe the state record is only 24 pounds. Gheezh. I thought the fishing around here sucked!

15. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, the Wyoming State record Brown trout is bigger than that catfish!

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I work at some local small time fishing tournaments each summer (for spotted seatrout, flounder, stuff like that) and the state of some of the fish brought in is just plain scarey! Most people bring in fish in a cooler with ice and all and the fish look great, but not all! Every year I see some fish that come in in July or August in a cooler, but without ice (like they think just putting them in a cooler will keep them cold?). The fish are at outside temperature, which around here is 90 degrees and are just plain rotten. Some people just bring in fish in a landing net or bucket or something that look like they have been laying in the sun on deck for hours. Yuck!

I always wonder if they bring them home and eat them afterwards? I can just picture it: "you know, whenever I ccok fish, it don't taste as good as when I get it in a reastaurant..."

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    it dont supprise me. there are some under educated folks out there taking game and fish and have no idea how to properly dress and claen them.

as far as cooking fish at home. i always love mine. weather its andys breading or homeade.:big_smile: i got a 1 1/2 channel that was caught by my lil cuz this sat. he gave me the smallest of the three for filleting his. i whole bone in dressed this one. its supper tonight.

ilike i said. i have no problems if a guy is within his state regs and keeps meals. but im against waste 100%.

maybe this saw cleaned. just looked real dark and spoiled in the pic. maybe its just the pic or the area caught. they can vary in color from state to state and amount of time out of water.

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Check your states rules for submiting a record fish, most say that the fish must be kept intact untill it's certified.
    The state of Illinois says: 10. A fish entered for STATE RECORD fish must be kept intact until it has been certified, and when necessary, genetically confirmed by an Illinois Department of Natural Resources Fishery Biologist.

The state of Kentucky says: Do not open the fish. This may be required later in the presence of witnesses to verify weight if suspicion arises. Meanwhile, keep the catch cold-fresh or frozen until status is determined. A taxidermist can mount a fish that has been frozen.

South Carolina rules say: 7.
    A South Carolina Department of Natural Resources fisheries biologist must identify all entries as to species. If possible, the biologist should also witness the weighing of the entry. In the event a biologist is not readily available, the entry should first be weighed, measured and witnessed then frozen or otherwise preserved intact until a biologist is notified. A small tissue sample may be required to genetically verify fish of some closely related species, or fish caught from areas where there is a potential for hybrididization. The verifying biologist’s decision is final and the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources reserves the right to refuse the registration of any questionable entry.

Rules like this could explain the condition of the fish, I see a trash bag in the picture, the fish was probably put in this bag and frozen till it was certified.

19. Littlecat92

Littlecat92 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thats a waste of a nice fish i would have tryed to keep it alive and released it

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    that may explain the dark color. i thought about that too.