How to train

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by txcatfisher, Sep 23, 2007.

1. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    im in the process of getting a dog for hunting what do i need to do too train the dog right.

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    What are you planning to hunt? coon, squirrels,coyote,quail?? I hunt mountain curs they will naturally tree anything that goes up a tree..silent on the trail..sometimes when you let them out of the truck they will have treed before you can get all rigged up..I have always been a "meat" hunter and dont really care to listen to dogs bawl all night long and finally tree 2 miles away..hehe..

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    like he said, it depends on what you're hunting as to how you train. some breeds and bloodlines are quicker to take to it than others. i run a german shorthair and honestly he didn't take much to train. let him play with pheasant and quail wings and taught him to obey commands like 'here', 'fetch it up' and 'dead bird'. never had a bit of gun shy in him either. he will also blood trail a wounded deer. i didn't train him for that, he just gets the bones from all my deer and hogs after i butcher them, and knows what he's after. if he finds a deer he gets the heart and livers right away, so he knows what's waiting for him when he accomplishes the task.

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What are ya hunting young feller. Cougars or jack rabbits. I hunt older women but my wife doesn't like that. tell us what your a goin' after and there is somebody on here that has the perfect ticket.

5. txcatfisher

txcatfisher New Member

State:
    texas
    what im hunting for is bird dove, quail, pheasant,etc.