How to throw a Castnet. Pics and Video

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by teaysvalleyguy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There are many members on here that want to learn how to throw a castnet or just have not even heard about it. Little brother (Teayswrestler) and myself went out to Deer Creek today to get some shad for later use. I took some pictures and Video to try and help members out.

There are many ways to do this but here is one of them. I just hope it can help someone out. We ended up getting some nice shad for later use. Sealed em up and put em in the freezer. Also got some Gills with a 33 and Berkley Powerbait Maggots.

[​IMG]

Take the castnet and stretch it out to make sure weights are all down and no tangles. Grab the lead with your left hand and castnet in the right.

[​IMG]

Wrap the lead line in loops with your hand. This will help for even flow as you are relasing the castnet and keep it from getting knotted up. It helps it go farther without any obstructions.

[​IMG]

Grab the castnet about halfway down and fold it over.

[​IMG]

Grab some of the bottem of the castnet and put it in your mouth. Will help it open on release. Fold over a few times also.

[​IMG]

Twist back and extend your arms.

[​IMG]

Twist out and release the castnet. It will open up like this in mid air.

[​IMG]

When it hits the water it will look like this.

[​IMG]

Pull in the lead line and hopefully you will get shad like this.

[​IMG]

Shad Vacuum sealed and ready for freezer.

Below is a video of Andy throwing the net. There was a ranger there telling him great job, he always wondered how that worked. I hope this helps someone.

Download the video at the link below!

Right click here and click on "Save Target As..." to download this great video to your hard drive. Then double click the file to see a great video of how to throw a castnet.