how to tell depth

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by kaous, Oct 30, 2009.

1. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Just kinda curious does anyone know a good way of finding the depth off the bank???? I've always been curious on how to do that. i am fairly new to bank fishing. I can usually find out whats on the bottom of the spot i am fishing by tieing on a sinker and just feeling the bottom as i drag it on in. But any ways just curious if anyone knows how to do it or not .

gl out there and have fun

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a slip bobber rig. I just keep setting it deeper and deeper until it hits bottom. After it does, I pull it in and measure the line you have out under the bobber.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Dragging a heavy sinker is one of the easiest ways to figure out what's on the bottom and how deep the water is.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i saw a dept finder somewhere, i think it was in my in-fisherman mag that you put on a reel and it is remote controle and it reads out on the bank. not that expensive

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Here you go...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125896

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can get an idea of depth by looking at the angle of your line using a bottom rig and rod holder.
    The best indicator on an impounded body of water is look at the dry land around you.
    If the terrain is steeply sloped behind you that is going to more then likely continue in front of you.
    Same with flat land.

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
  8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well an old-rule of thumb we used is a 30z sinker will fall about 3ft per second so when it hits count thousand 1 thousand 2..:eek:oooh::wink: It is pretty close:cool2: You will have to do the math for bigger sinkers:eek:oooh:

9. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks for all the tips guys i really appreciate it. that sonar thing is pretty nifty.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Those portable smartcast depthfinders work pretty nice. I got one,it shows you the depth and where the drop offs are pretty good,but it doesn,t show much definition.Someone usually has em on sale for around $50.Try and get the one that has the monitor that clamps onto your rod,the other ones are too hard to read if your fishing from the bank.I get mine out once in a while if i,m in a new area,but I find it a lot easier in most cases to just count my sinker down to the bottom.:wink:

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fishin only from the bank and fishing the river, I only need to know if I am fishing in deep or real shallow water. I don't like shallow water, for me the deeper the better. This is one of the many reasons I use a baitcaster. I can get a real good idea how deep the water is just by feel. With a spinning reel I never get that feel. After the sinker hits the water all I need to do is watch to see how much line peels off before it settles.