How to target those catfish in a reservior?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, Jul 4, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I mainly fish in the rivers and the cats dont seem to be nearly as hard to find as the ones in the reserviors. My thoughts were using my fishfinder to locate drop offs and deep main lake points with shallow falts near by. I also thought of targeting the main river channel in the reserviors espically if there is deeper water along with drops offs and or sharp bends in the channel that might run along close to a bank, island or submerged humps. I also noticed that my finder will show me when there is a hard bottom like gravel and rocks with a double echo. A soft or muddy bottom doesnt show the double echo. I thought the gravel and rocky areas would be good also. I get tired of trying to catch cats in the same old areas all the time. Seems like we always hit the shallow water waiting for the fish to come to us. We do catch alot of cats but seems to be much eaiser for us in the spring and the fall when they are feeding up shallow. The summer months are generally the tougher times for us. Thanks for any input you boc brothers might have.

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Find some areas you think look good and drift fish all of them. Use as many rods as you can and set them at different depths. In a lake I don't wait for the cats to come to me. Flatheads are another story now,,, only thing I can say is look in the channels of small feeder creeks. I've had a problem keeping bait alive for any amount of time in a reservoir. They die within 20 min of bein cast out???

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Josh...I think the problem with bait dieing in the reservoirs faster than in rivers is fish caught from rivers are a little hardier than those out of non-flowing waters. I've noticed if I catch bluegills from a river they stay alive on the hook for hours, but ones from still bodies of water die off fairly fast. That's just my observation anyways.

4. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    I guess what i was refering to was fishing the reserviors in the hot summer months. It would be awful hard to drift fish at dark when there is no wind and current. These reserviors that me and bigcatfish64 fish do not have current and at night the water is like glass, no movement. I dont fish these water during the day in the summer due to the extreme heat and humidity. Generally during the day we have good wind to drift fish but not at night. Im more interested in anchoring down in prime spots for a summer night bite. I think once the summer heats the water up in the 80 to 90 range for the surface temp then you shou go deep. When we hit the Ohio river a few weeks ago I noticed that we had better luck out in and near water at 30ft but get shallow and forget the bite. The water can get really stagnet in shallow water in the summer and nothing moves. I think the fish tend to move back out of shallow water and head for deeper holes and deeper spots in the main river channels in the summer months due to water temp. We would love to drift fish but I dont think it would be a good option under these situations. Thanks fo the input, hope to hear some more.

5. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've bank fished the Salamonie res. twice this year in wabash county. This spot is right beside a 30' creek bed that comes up to a large flat area. You can walk out 50 or 60' and not get much deeper than your knees. We put 2 poles in the creek and 2 in the shallows useing livers,sonnys stink bait, gills, and crawlers and have been skunked twice. Haven't lost any fish just no bites. When you fellows talk shallows what depth are you talking, is this place to shallow?

6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That shad man will tell you where to learn how to fish a lake from.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Right on Rick! We've noticed the same thing fishing for flatties: The stream captured bait substantially out performs the pond/lake caught bait in terms of hardiness!

8. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dont miss the thermal cline guys you get bellow it you bait is dead!!! No matter where it came from. I have no problem keeping bait alive on the lake, your rivers do not get a thermal cline.

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think the thermocline is the problem with dying bait in the lake. I was fishing on bottom. I'll use a float next time out.

10. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    What I meant is to driftfish untill you find the best locations and then anchor down, or keep drifting. Even in still water you will drift. I like a slow drift. Last year me and a friend landed over 60 cats in one weekend doing this.

11. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Thanks I will try that. I was refering to shallow water as water less than 10ft.