How to target big channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by miichael, Sep 10, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How is a good way to get on some big channels? spot i fish i catch 30 fish a night ranging from 1lb-6lb. My biggest channel yet was a 12lb at that spot. Do i need to find a different spot in order to catch bigger fish? I use cut shad and cut bluegill. If i need to move spots how far do you think i should move from where the small channels are? I figured if there was small ones there would be big ones but some people say if your catching little fish you need to move.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Michael You Might want to switch to whole live Bluegill and live SKIPJACK insted of cut bait this might help you target the larger Channel catfish. That is if the body of water that your fishing holds the larger channels. by useing live larger bait presentations you should discourage the smaller Dinks from bothering you so much! Just My thoughts. Your Frind and BOC. Brother J.D.
    P.S. Good Question!

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know there's channels in the 12-16lb range but when using cut shad all i get are around 1-3lb. I sometimes catch 5-8 lbers on cut shad but mainly just the little ones bother me. I caught a 12lb on a blue gill head but the other night i went out and fished all night with cut bluegill on 4 rods and caught 1 fish on bluegill and 18 on shad biggest was 6.7, 5.8, 5.7, and 5.0 . The 5.8 came on the blue gill. Iv tried live gills but most time i dont get much action, maybe im using too large of blue gills? most i use are 4-5in long.

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Micheal, Like he said above, I would try using live bait instead. This summer I have caught 2 12#, 1 13#, and an 18.5# channel all on live black perch. Seems the larger channel cat prefer the live bait. You may not catch as many, but you should catch larger fish.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If your not having luck on whole blue gill try bigger cut bait. fillet from the tail up to the head but leave everything attached, cut the tail off and hook that on. Kind of like a butterflied shad but with bream. I have done this and the fishing is slow but the quaility of the fish you will catch is better. Also leave that shad out as well. My biggest fish this year came from a cut minnow

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I've always heard you need big bait to catch big fish. The big guys are somewhat lazy. They don't want to expend too much energy for a small bait. Try bigger bait and cut part of the tail off and maybe even wound it with the point of a knife. You want your bait to act like a wounded and therefore easy mouthfull for them big guys.

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i would try larger bait and try a new spot if you still don't find anything big

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Miichael

The only time I target Channels is @ below spillways when the water is a bit high. Mid May till about the first week in June they make a pre-pawn run up to the dams in alot of rivers and feed on the Shad. Mid day floating a bobber around breaks in the current works for me. I never did well till I learn to do this.

Hope it helps alittle Bro.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My biggest channels have all come from the same spot, along with a few decent flatheads. My biggest channels are 2 13lbers, 1 14.5lber, and a very fat 16lber. The spot is on a lake that I bank fish from. It's a fairly steep bank with an old sunken seawall and a lot of cinder blocks righ off the bank, and off of all the cover it drops off into about 10 feet of water. During the day you can stand there and watch all the small bluegills in the cover so you just know big fish come up there. I cast out about 15ft and let it sink and it ends up probably 7 or 8 feet off the rocks. Since I fish so close to the actual spot, I don't use a lantern and I don't ever shine my flash light on the pole or anywhere near the water. I just use bells. I don't know how much this helps you, but that's just a description of my most productive big channel cat spot.