How to Survive a Bear Attack!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A grizzly bear can run 30 - 35 mph....much faster than a world class runner....much less you or I. :eek:oooh:

Although...ya never know...the world record speed for a human being may well have been broken way out in the middle of the woods somewhere by some guy bein' chased by a bear...but nobody was around to verify it.

Fear is a great motivator like that.

At 40 yards...a Grizzly is on top of you in under 3 seconds...I read in an outdoor magazine somewhere...not much time for the formulation of a plan.

I do wonder tho...would that 30 - 35 mph a bear can run be uphill...or downhill??

I don't know about this playing dead business.

Seems to me that a guy might not have to "play" dead for very long at all if a 10'...1500 lb bear is chewing on your scalp.

What if he's not playing a game...and is really hungry instead of being territorial?

Maybe it's just me...but that seems like a non-option.

Based upon common logic....It's always best to have a companion with you during a bear attack.

Preferrably one who is slower than you.

If not...one would assume that a guy would attempt to trip them or something...but the whole key to that I'd imagine would be to get the jump on the situation...and then kick him in the knee...or elbow him in the nose as he attempts to run past you.

If that fails...well...then your plan has probably just backfired.

Climbing trees don't seem like a real strong option...since even grizzly bears can climb as well...and then there's probably not the proper sized one readily available. (If only I could have made it 10 more feet)

I suppose at that point you try real hard to dig your lunch out of your jacket pocket...and toss it behind you...as your buddy sprints forward up around the next bend in the trail.

Maybe the bear will stop and investigate what little morsel you tossed aside and he'll forget that he could eat on you for a few days.

Lacking that.

Man your day just gets worse and worse.

Look on the bright side tho...maybe the bear will lick you first...and find that you don't taste very good...and will let you go. :roll_eyes:

Or maybe he's a good Christian bear.

Knowing my luck...all that means is that he says a short prayer thanking the lord for the bounty of the meal he is about to receive.

Who's at the top of the food chain now?

http://www.bearinfo.org/FAQ.htm#How fast can a grizzly run?

http://www.elitefeet.com/how-fast-can-humans-run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rigJg2ZTf5s&feature=email

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    wouldnt it be easy if you just didnt climb over the railing at the zoo in the first place

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Lets not forget about that fool that insisted on living with the bears on kodiak island ,but he aint here to tell us just how fast they are .:smile2:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya mean the one with a lisft, "this here is YMCA, good bear,STOP THATTTT. Frigin Idiot!

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    #5-A Bear Warning Sign

A friend of mine sent me this bear warning sign. Couldn’t get it to copy so will just relay the message:

Warning

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fisherman, and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out of doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him in case of a encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: