How to spool a spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 26, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I mainly take my spinning reels to bass pro when they need to get spooled and it don't cost any except for the price of the gas and line. But I was wondering about how to spool them myself cause I heard that if you don't do it right the line will come out wavy and not very straight. Would I hold the spool where the line comes off from the bottom or hold the spool as I do while loading my baitcasters where the line comes out from the top?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya want the line comein off the spool from the top. Comein off the spool the same way its gonna come off the reel. If ya get out on a boat. While its movein let your line out the back with a sinker on it and reel it all back in. This will help tighten the line up on the spool and take the crazy kinks outa it. Also a good trick is to put your new spool of line in a bucket of water while spoolin your reels. This will put the line on good and snug for future use. Hope this helps.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The proper way to spool the line onto a spinning reel is the label of the spool facing the reel with tension on the line. You can tie the line directly to the spool with an arbor knot. After spooling make a few cast with a barrel swivel and some lead to straighten out the line.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    this is how i spool a spinning reel.

place the spool on the ground and using a leather work glove on your non- winding hand spool the line under moderate tension. after about 50 turns of the handle drop the rod tip and observe the line if the line twists flip the spool over and continue reeling for another 50 turns or so and drop the tip again. keep alternating until the reel is full. once the reel is full spray some water onto the line the water will cause the line to "set" so that when you go to cast the coils will be the size of the reel's spool.

at the end of the day to remove twist from your line cut off your terminal tackle and let out 50 feet of line behind the boat on your way back in and let it trail for a few minuetes then reel it back in now it should be twist free.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have also found that placing your supply of line in a container of water while filling your reel seems to help quite a bit. I also put a moderate amount of tension on the line while it reeling the new line on.
    If while you are adding line it starts twisting around the end of the pole, turn the supply spool over or around...hope that makes sense.

I think one of the important factors is to NOT put to much line on a reel when re-spooling....that's especially true of open-faced spinning reels. I want to fill that sucker to the edge by nature, but that causes LOTS of problems....i leave about 1/4 inch gap on the from the edge of the line to the end of the spool.

cyas
    robert

6. Willowcat

Willowcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's an eighth of an inch. Not a quarter of an inch when spooling a reel. Someone mentioned to stop spooling a quarter of an inch from the top of the spool. Wrong...jim

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep.That is the way:wink:

8. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    +1, that's how I do it.
    Jerry

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Same as above, But notice after you lay it on the ground make sure the line comes off the spool clockwise. That way the line will sparrel onto the reel in the same manner it came off, which reduces the line twisting into a frenzy, and the line will come off the reel effortlessly.:wink:

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    SORRY GUYS,Everybody makes a mistake once and awhile:embarassed:

Been thinking about the way the line comes off the spool and I was'nt for sure so I went and checked it out for myself just a little while ago and ...

A CORRECTION Is in order for the post above,, it is just the opposite the spool should be layed on the ground so that the line comes off ,,
    Counter-Clockwise and you will know if you got it right because when you hold the line with your other hand for tension, coming off the spool clockwise it will twist and tightens up around the spool, just the opposite when counter-clockwise.

If it helps we always put a wet towel wringed out folded a few times with the line run thru it for tension on a chair and the spool on the floor.