How to spend a hot summer day

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Did a 5 mile Kayak float on the upper Wakarusa River today. Got kind of a late start, it was 12:40 when I dropped the Kayak off at one bridge and drove 6 ¼ miles downriver to leave the truck at another bridge. I jumped on my bicycle and rode back up to the boat in 35 minutes which was not to bad considering the heat and it was mostly up hill, well and the fact that I ain’t as young as I used to be. Anyway I brought a small net with me and loaded up with helgramites in the riffle right under the bridge. I also had about 5 dozen worms with me and I fished one worm and one helgie under a bobber all the way through.
    I had never been on the first couple of miles of this stretch of river and it turned out to be really nice. Several good riffles leading into big deep holes. Just the kind of place to catch active feeding Channels in the middle of a hot summer day. I decided I was going to keep track of how many I caught for a change (even the little ones) and ended up with 52 in the first 3 miles. A lot of them were small and no biggins today but I kept a limit of 10 all 2-5 pounders. It was getting pretty late by then and I paddled the rest of the way without fishing.
    Being on a small river like this is really nice even when it is hot. You are in the shade about 70% of the time and always getting out to stand in the water to fish the bottom of riffles and pull the Yak through so you keep pretty cool. It is a really pleasant way to spend a summer day and even better when the fish are biting like they were today. Most of the time I am a morning or evening fisherman but the fish in small water like this feed pretty much anytime you put something in front of them so mid day can be very productive.
    I also saw lots of wildlife. I saw Deer 3 times and had them snorting at me a couple more. Saw Turkeys 4 times, a couple of these times was late in the evening and they were roosted over the water and blasted off right over my head, that will wake you up! I watched a momma Coon and 3 babies working down the bank for about 20 minutes. Then right after dark as I was almost down to the truck I had an encounter with a baby Beaver that really cracked me up. As I came around a bend I shined my light up on the bank and saw this little beaver sitting about 10 feet up a steep bank. He just sat there until I was right even with him and I decided to get a little pay back for all the times they have slapped their tails and scared the crap out of me, so I slapped the water with my paddle and he took off down the bank. Let me tell you a young beaver on dry land is not the most graceful critter around. He tried to jump over a log, missed, landed on his back and tumbled all the way to the edge of the water right beside the Yak. I figured what the heck, :cool2: reached over and tapped him on the head with the paddle he let out a shriek and dived under the boat. I chuckled all the rest of the way to the truck.
    All in all a good day on the water.:roll_eyes:

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's outstanding, Alan! I'm glad that you had a great day on the water, but I probably would have given out after the five-mile bike ride.

I had to laugh when I read your transfer system...I couldn't help wondering what would be stolen first if I tried that around here: the kayak, the bicycle, or the truck! :big_smile:

3. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    man thats one hell of a day. I still have yet to get my kayak out looking forward to it though, trying to get the wife to come pick me up at the end of the day is always a chore, dont know about trusting people not to steal stuff if I bike it.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the story alan!

5. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Most of the places I go are pretty secluded and not very many people fish these small waters. It is a little scarry leaving the kayak with all of my gear but it is painted camo and I tuck it up under the bridge where no one can see it unless they are under the bridge with it, plus I haul a$$ back so it is not there very long.
    The bike is also painted all camo and I lock it up under the bridge too. It is just a cheap mountian bike from wally world and if someone takes it I am not out much anyway. I bought it just for this purpose and the wife thought I was nuts when I brought it home it was pretty purple, I rode it around the block once then took it apart and painted it flat black and mud brown...lol ugly as heck! I also attach a note saying that it is not lost or stolen and to please leave it alone. So far it has worked out good and I have never had anyone mess with any of my stuff.

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    sunds like paradise!!

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the response on this one.

Despite my attempt at humor, I have actually wondered how single-handed float trips might be done successfully. It looks like you have a good system worked out.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    cool story, thankx for sharing.
    smokey

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Alan, thanks for the story, I am sure you will do that trip again. You have a good system for a solo float trip. I might have to try that. It is too bad generally upstream means uphill:smile2:

10. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Yes that is true. One other thing I learned real quick was to always take the truck down to the take out point. After being on the river all day the last thing you want to do is ride the bike all the way back :eek:oooh:

11. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. You did a VERY good giving an account of your day on the water. I'm with you, buddy... There is nothing quiet like floating a small river during the summer; plenty of shade and fishing is just as apt to be good at noon as first light! Thanks for a very interesting account of your day on the water!

12. shadowman

shadowman New Member

State:
    nc
    A GREAT WAY TO SPEND YOUR DAY.