How to Snell Catfish Hooks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Tim Lange(Doctor) on October 9, 2004

Here's the way I snell 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks with 50# big game line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pass the line thru the eye of the hook, make sure that the line is
    on the backside of the shank,this is very important because when you finish the hook should hang straight. I like to go about an inch or just past the point of the hook.

[​IMG]

Now hold the line with your thumb and
    forefinger.

[​IMG]

Now wrap the line 7-8 times around the shank of the hook. The free end should now be passed
    thru the eye of the hook.

[​IMG]

Loop one of your free fingers into the circle shank of the hook and pull it down tight.

[​IMG]

Should look like this when completed,the coils will be tight to the shank and if you have done it correctly when you hold the line
    the hook will hang vertical, In my opinion this
    is one of the secrets of circle hooks hooking up fish, you need that straight line pull from the pole to the hook for a circle to rotate in the corner of a cats mouth. I usually will trim off any tag part of the line.

The more pull you put on this the tighter it gets, the first coil is one of the most impotant as it protects the line from getting cut where the wire is turned in, with 50# test line it covers up any gap between the shank and eye.

Hope this helps you out.......Doc