How to set up for the STRIPER?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Mar 18, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I will be hitting the river from DG Sat. morning and want to catch anything that swims but will be concentrating on Blues but would like to set out a couple of rods for Stripers. What should I do different to target them?:crazy:

2. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Live gizzard shad if you can get em and the bigger the better 12" or bigger are better. If you are anchored you can tie a balloon to your line around 20' above the hook with no sinker and let the current carry the balloon downstream(make sure it is farther than your bottom rods cause it will find em if you don't. You can also do the same w/o the balloon. If you really want to target striper buy yourself a couple of planer boards and put one out each side of the boat and 2 balloons behind the boat and troll upstream at about .5mph if it is not a swift river or you can anchor down and put the planer boards out w/o sinkers and fish to the sides of the boat. I caught this striper in the river down here last year pulling 2 planers and 2 balloons on a 14" gizzard shad (big bait = big fish)
    [​IMG]

3. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    That is great info.......You guys are great. I have been with a friend years ago and thrown topwater up at 14th street and caught a few nice ones but nothing like that.
    :big_smile:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Myself if i were targeting 2 different creatures at the same time,,,i would drag a big stinkin bream head and troll a lucky craft stacey as deep as i could run it.

5. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    How about long bomber A's?

6. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I also have some storm lures (bunker). Has anyone done any good on those?

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    they'lll werk as long as ya can get em down, smithwick rogues are fine an 10 dolla cheaper than lucky craft.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    One of the challanges is, there will be so many thousands of Dink male stripers 18-26 inches in the river in a few weeks that often they beat the big girls to the bait. My guess is if you are targeteing just the whoppers then you have to upsize the bait or the dink males will worry you to death. That's what happened to me last April 26 when my brother and I had a 100 striper day. Only 14 or so were over 10 pounds, the rest were smaller males. I personally am a quantity guy so I fish both small and large baits. I hate trolling. I am a Tight Liner at heart so I anchor where I think they will be passing through. It is a sight to see when they come up on top and roll around like hogs doing the spawning thing. One big giant female with 10 males all over her and the same scene going on all around the boat.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Your reports are killing me Kenneth! Won't be too much longer eh?

10. vtfish

vtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree 100 percent with the planer boards. It holds your bait off the bottom where they swim. The only thing is you have to fight the board and the fish when hooked up....

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Spawning varies slightly from year to year depending on water Temp, Moon Phase, Daylight Hours Ect Ect. If I could only pick a week it would be between Tax Day April 15 and April 22 for the peak of the spawn. I am going to Uruguay shortly but will be back by April 12. I plan to fish every afternoon until I leave for Paraguay May 1. I won't be back until July 4th so I need to get my fishing in.

12. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Ain't no problem man! When you use 12-14 inch baits and the fish you catch with them, you never notice the planer board LOL