Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

How to set up for high altitude

629 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bubbakat 
#1 ·
going to turn my cat boat in to a trout boat for a week:embarassed:, runs great at 250' above sea level but going to take it up to the high serrias and going to be running it on South Lake above Bishop, CA. the lake is truly in gods country at 10,000' above sea level:eek:oooh:, never had a boat up there before and just wondering what its going to run like up there the way it setup now and what i can do to make it run at that elvation with out changing the jets out for just one weeks of fishn,, know my old 6.2 GM deisal would barly run up there,. just want it to run, dosn't need to run at its best.

the engine is a 83' 75hp suziki, 3 cyl and has 3 carbs

#2 ·
Without messing with the jets you can change the pitch on your prop.Unfortunately I can t remember whether to go up or down.When I moved to Colo I had to go from a 14 to a 12 I think to maintain the same speed and rpm.Otherwise you will just have to suffer the power loss.:smile2:

#3 ·
thanks jim,, not real worried about how fast it goes just that it will start easy and run well enough to get around a smaller lake, never had boat that high and just herd that it mite have a problem running that high, just hate to haul it 700miles and have it not run at all

#4 ·
No problem with it running it just wont have the same power.Without knowing it most boaters suffer this same problem even at the lowest altitudes ,when summer comes and it gets real hot.Same problem not the same amount of oxygen available to the engine.:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.