How to set a boat up for tournaments?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sds888, Nov 20, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Well got a new boat last week and the setup starts. I want to go from fishing bass tournaments to fishing catfish tournaments in the spring. The boat I have is small, 17 foot, but the prefect size for me. Well I have an extra check comming in dec and what I dont spend on my wifes christmas gift I am going to spend on the boat. I will probably be asking alot of questions over the next ccouple of weeks so please forive me. My question first is..... Say I catch a catfish for this tournament how do I keep it and keep it alive all night. I looked at large coolers but I am concern with the weight of the water. I mean if I get lucky and catch a 20lber which is the best I have ever done. Where will she go until weigh in? Ok once I get that figured out I will ask another.
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks did not see that thread as I was looking through. Once I get that down pat there will be more questions.
    Stephen

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Fire away with the questions because I think I have made all the mistakes:lol: :eek:oooh: I will say 17 ft is small and you are right to be concerned with the extra weight of the coolers.You may have to stringer or weigh in more often which takes fishing time.When you go to tourneys like Santee etc you will see mainly pontoons with large tanks or some kind of cooler arangement on the other boats.What you might try doing is see if you can find someone to fish with at first and develope your ideas from that.Offering to pay the entry fee will usually make you welcome.:smile2: On the other hand many tourneys are simply by weight not catch and release.

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    It sounds obvious, but pay close attention to the rules of the tournament you are fishing. If need be, ask the local president of the association. Nothing quite sucks as much as having a good idea that turns out to be unnecassary or illegal. And trust me, you will not be the first one that has had to deal with this in your local area/tournament.
    When starting out, "playing it safe" is never a bad idea. Meaning if the choice is heading back to weigh-in early (costing fishing time) vs. not getting to weight the big boy at all (dead fish) ... I know which one I'd choose. By the way, some of the best ideas you'll come across will be during your first few cat tournaments, you can see what the veterans are using.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks. I am sure more questions will come as I fish more out of this one. My last boat was a 16 foot bass boat that I mainly bass fished out of. So I know I have space issues that I am going to have to deal with. I am trying to come up with a roder holder design now. I hate to drill holes in a brand new boat. So I have been looking at the great ideas on this site. Depending if I go with the cooler or stinger system it will make the differnce. I am thinking about taking a pvc pipe and run it from the seat poles out to the sides and put t's in them to hold the rods. However I have not bought the seats yet So I do not know exactly how that would work. Its a lot but it is something to tinker with.
    Thanks
    Stephen

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Go to the elevator and get you a cloth gunny sack. If you catch a big one put it in the sack and tie it over board. should be ok ,but don't forget to bring it out of the water before you start to move.Be sur e the sack is cloth and not plastic or nylon. In the tournments we get in your not allowed to use stringers or baskets of any type. They don't want to take the chance of cutting up the fish. Ours is all C&R. They are pretty picky about that.You catch ,bring in ,weigh them and then turn them loose. You'll Be learning a lot in the cat tournment. And Congradsulation on getting the boat.Enjoy it !!

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I usually just put them on a stringer and put them in the boat while I run around. Flatheads will stay alive a long time! However, I am not sure about the other species

8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks MRR. What is the elevator though? I have some old mail bags But I will have to see if they would work.

Thanks Hartwell are you going to be fishing the tournaments at 12 mile this spring? If so I hope to see you there. I have to find out how to catch fish on hartwell as I have fished all me life on moultrie. Saw some good spots the other day. I am hoping to get over my cold so I can go thursday.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sds888 you coming to fish the one sat at broyles? i use a stringer for larger fish then put them in a cooler while moving with as least bit of water as possible. you could also get a large cooler and put a seat cushion on it so it doubles as a live well to save alittle room. i use to have have a 16 ft tri hull till i sunk it at santee so i know the space issues you have.

10. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Yep there are space issues. But if it is just me and someone else or just me I think I can manage. Flathead I put a post in hartwell thread about saturday to you but no I am not going to be there.
    Stephen

11. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Be sure to check on the stringers. As of 2007, they will no longer be legal in the A.C.A.T. tournaments at least here in Maryland. I too recently bought a new boat and like you hated the idea of drilling holes in it but I highly recommend taking a look at DRIFTMASTER rod holders. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Secondly google storage nets, the kind that go behind the seat of a truck. I bought one for my jon and mounted it along the port side of the interior. It makes a great catch all.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    If you are gonna fish catfish tournaments ONE of the MAIN things is having a large enough livewell for big fish and other fish. A 100gallon stock tank with bilge pumps and aeration devices is a solid way to go. Having a way to keep the water changed out on the fish is important especially in summer. No sense killing the fish that are making us money. Room is especially important in a good cat boat. Room for two people and tackle is key. WIDER IS BETTER!!!

13. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks Slim cat but I can not put a 100 gallon tank in my boat there is not enough room. What size of cooler are yall using to keep the fish? Thanks liberty I will also look at the net sounds like it is perfect for a small boat.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Elevators up here are grain mills in your area... Get a large gunny sack like you get sweet taters or rice in...

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

You are the first person i have heard mention a live sack..I HAVE NEVER HAD A FISH DIE IN A GOOD LIVE SACK

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    The elevator I am refering to is a Feed Elevator where you get the grain and so forth to feed cattle ,horses,chickens etc. I'm guessing you have them in your area .Talk to any old time farmers in your area and they should get you in the right direction. Hope this sort of cleared up the elevator mystry. GOOD LUCK!!

17. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks MRR I asked around about the sacks and so far everyone is stating that they have now gone to plastic. But I have a guy snooping around trying to find someone with old sacks. I am thinking about the cooler idea but dont know how large to get one.
    Thanks
    Stephen

18. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Duck decoy bags work real well,also we rope some through the bottom lip & hang them overboard.

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Did you mean what you don't spend on the boat you'll be spending on your wife's Christmas gift?:lol: j/k.....Enjoy the boat!