How to see the holes?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Johnny B, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't have a boat and just bank fish but how do you even find holes?/ Sorry this might be a stupid question!:0a33:

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the Boc Johnny, i'll give u a couple of ideas. however fishing from the bank u maybe limited to what is accually there. U could look at some topo maps of a particular area. or u could use a satilite image of the area, if u know what to look for u can find holes or shallow areas and flats for that fact. or u could stalk u a fisherman at the nearest bout ramp
    [if he's got electronics] and just ask where the holes are. hope this helps.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no not a stupid one.... I think it would be kinda hard to do actually.
    Really only thing I know is to "probe it" with your sinker and line or something.
    I've used depth finders so much, I can guess by looking at the water where a hole probably is. but it's unexplainable- like water color or movement..... big river holes are below riffs.... smaller holes are in various places along the banks cause by log jams and bends- stuff like that. be interesting to hear peoples ways on this. Welcome to the BOC!

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Some of the ways I find holes without depthfinder:

Look for eddy areas, they will sometimes dig out a hole.
    At the head of every (or should I just say most) island in a river, there will be a hole, usually on the opposite side of the main channel.
    Steep banks are a real good sign of a hole next to the bank.
    Stationary debris (of any kind) will usually create a hole.
    I hope some of these help ya out!

And oh yeah, I am with Bill - It isn't a stupid question at all.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What a stupid question. Sheesh!....... every ones knows that if there were a hole in the river all the water would drain out! :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2: lol

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I looked on Google earth when I was looking for holes along the river banks where I fish. Just look where the river cuts in and out of the bank, offering the fishies a little relief from the strong current. Bait fish also often find their ways into this hole, which eventually brings big mr. whiskers. :wink:

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    On rivers, there is always a hole on the outside bend. Usually, they'll have a steep bank too. GOOD LUCK!

8. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I find that most times there is a hole behind a snag,log jam,bridge piling. Ron

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    And especially don't forget the hole in front of the bridge pylons, stumps, logs, etc, etc, etc. In a good current, that hole can extend 6-8 feet upstream, depending on th size of the object.

10. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this helped me alot to thanks

11. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    That specific spot will often hold the most active fish too!

12. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yup!:big_smile: The front is as good,or better than the back of structure sometimes. Ron

13. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    Behind briges or by bridges you can usualy find a hole along the bank.also you can find holes close to bank when ther are bends in the river,Look on the outside bend.

14. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    If you can afford it they do make depth/fishfinders for use from the bank. Ive seen them for around $100 if I remember right? Good Luck, aint muchI can add to the advice you have already except you can try chummin an area to help it produce/concentrate the cats/fish. Good Luck

15. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Where are you roughly at in Illinois?

16. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Set up a pole with a weight on the bottom of the line and a slip bobber. Keep adjusting the bobber until it floats. You can pretty much tell the exact depths using this method and eventually you'll get to be able to recognize the signs and usual locations of holes after you've found enough of them.
    Rat

17. Bubstr

Bubstr New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A lot of good info here.

When you have a bend in the river, a lot of times you have a flat or sand bar opposite it. Right where the channel cuts back across the river at the bottom of the sand bar, you will have a hole or trench. I have had some luck fishing these spots, from the sand bar. Wing dams too. Try fishing just on the calm side of the faster moving water.

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One thing i've noticed on sattelite images are places where I know holes are where the bank has a wider spot.. like in the middle of a bend where the cut-bank briefly cuts a little wider.

Ultimately, many holes are a factor of current scouring out areas of softer bottom. Find an area of shallower "bumpy" water, and then look for the spot where the surface suddenly appears calm in relation to the surrounding areas. The surface changes since the current velocity (speed) is faster over the shallow stuff, and the current slows over the deeper spot. This often causes a backwash or "keeper" current if the drop is hard enough (like a low-head dam).

Dan Gapen referred to those spots as river "slicks" where you see a smooth area on the surface that contrasts with surrounding areas. If you're fishing dams, look for the places where the surface changes like this.

In general, I like to fish areas where the current is different than the surrounding areas like a funnel, eddy, backwash. A lot of times there's something below the surfaces that causes those hydraulic effect, like a rock.

A lot of good ideas in the other posts, and I agree if there's good current many times the force of the water going under a log will scour a hole under it, or by the midstream end.

Shawn

19. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Upstream and downstream of obstructions logs etc theres usually a good hole or two.