How to rig Paternoster

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by malenko14, Jun 16, 2009.

1. malenko14

malenko14 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think the paternoster rig is what I am looking for: I want to run a leader off my main line with a bell sinker below it that I an jig in fast water and still keep bait on the bottom; can anyone tell me how to tie this. I don't understand how to use the barrel swivel and leader and then the sinker? How does all of this go together?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Joseph,,
    You can go right to it,,Find, Catfish Publications->Member Library->Member Library -table of contents
    scroll down to second page->Rigs->Paternoster..

There's a bunch of other stuff there ,also!!!
    Hope that helps.G
    And,, Welcome to the BOC!!:big_smile:

3. malenko14

malenko14 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My apologies for sounding stupid here; I seen the diagram, I am looking for some instructions (in words). The example really confuses me as it looks like there are two swivels and two leaders and I don't understand how they all go together.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Joseph,,
    I understand what you're sayin',, I'm the same way trying to learn how to tie knots from a diagram,,,

On that diagram there's 3 different kinds of rigs.. I use a modified combo of a couple of them...
    I'd be better able to Show you rather than describe...

However,, Basically there's the end (Terminal ) section consisting of the hook tied to a length of leader , tied off to a swivel..
    Then that needs to get tied off to the mainline,,, to the other end of the swivel... the beads and stop knots and such, are there for mainly protecting the knots tieing everything together..

Once you have that done,, then,, above the swivel they've attached a weight,, one way is to tun the mainline through the eye of the weight
    another is to attach a swivel to the weight and attach , or run the mainline through the eye of the swivel before tieing to the terminal leader.
    My favorite,, is to tie the weight to a length of lighter # line,,maybe 12-24" Long,,,,,,,,,, tie that to a snap swivel, and then clip that on your mainline above the first swivel from the hook..
    Then your mainline can run through the eye of tthe weight swivel when you get a fish on....And the method, I described with the long weight line,, will keep you bait off the bottom in any kind of current!!!

In the section I referenced before,, there's another page,, called modified or alternative rigs,,and Netmanjack,, has a very nice diagram of a rig very close to what I use.. He calls it a Golly Whopper or something,, and, It may be easier to see.

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    This is how I make mine. I just made one up once and thought I had invented a new rig til I saw it in a fishing magazine. I take a 2 to 3 foot length of line of less pound test than my main line. On one end I tie my weight, the other end I tie a barrel swivel. I slide the main line through the eye of the barrel swivel and attach a small split shot on the main line. At this point you can tie your hook on your main line and adjust the length of leader according to current conditions by moving the split shot up or down the line. Another option is instead of tieing on a hook, attach a swivel to the end of you line and then attach a snelled hook to aid in fast hook changes. Again you adjust the length of free leader by sliding the split shot up and down the main line. This rig works good in current or still water and keeps bait near the bottom. You can also add a small float to the end of the line near the hook if you want to float a bait just off the bottom. Hope this helps. Tight lines.

:cool2:

6. malenko14

malenko14 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for all the help guys, I am messing with the stuff now and seeing what works for me. Appreciate all the help

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joseph Welcome to the BOC. I agree with the info you have recieved. Good luck on getting it to work for you.:0a18::0a25::0a25: