How to Rig live Bluegills?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Willywisker, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Willywisker

Willywisker New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    Okay guys I'm looking for some info on how to rig up live bluegill for flatheads.
    I'm an old school guy who normally only use cured livers or worms but I want to start fishing for flatheads.
    How do you hook them on your hook? How far out from bank should I cast it out? And do I use a sinker on my line? Any help would be appreciated , thanks in advance for your help!

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can use a carolina rig or a three way rig (the three way rig is my personal favorite) and a large octopus,circle, or kahle hook. 6/0 or bigger is my reccomendation. if you are fishing in current try hooking them through the eyes or right behind the dorsal fin (make sure you dont hook them in the spine or it will kill em). if you hook them behind the dorsal fin the will be more apt to swim down. if you hook them behind the anal fin they will swimm up. if you hook them in the eyes they will swim everywhere. make sure you use enough wieght to keep them from dragging it around but not so much that a big ole flathead will be anchoerd to the bottom. i reccomend 3 oz or so. if you are fishing in current try to find deeper pools and fish the outher edges of those at night. logjams, fallen trees and brushpiles can be killer also. and you dont need to try and trow your bait 1000 yds out or anything. infact i reccomend against throwing it out very far because when the gill comes crashing down it could either kill or severly shock it, making it not so good of a bait anymore. another thing you can try, but dont have to, is trimming the tail of the gill, or cutting off a couple of fins, or even cutting the inside of their gills to make them bleed a little. i dont do it, but other swear by it. when you fish live gills dont constatly reel em in and cast them back out cause this will cause them to die faster. the perfect size is between 5 and 8 inches long. hope this helps and good luck to you. hopefully there will some new pictures of your flats on here soon.

3. redhammer

redhammer New Member

State:
    az
    Great info....thanks for the detailed post.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a couple more things i forgot to mention (in retrospect). if you are using gills and the flats pick them up but dont swallow them and just crush the heck out of them (killing them), dont sweat it. just cut the tail off and slit his belly open letting his guts hang out. this will catch fish, and you dont have to worry about swapping your bait out. if you are going to use cut bait, cut the head offf right behind the gill plate and cut the fins off as well. let the guts hang and run your hook comming from the back of the head and out the forehead. this will help with your hook-ups. make sure you are using a swivel as well since cut bait has a dendancy to spin in current. also scrape the scales off of the head. helps put the smell into the water and you also wont have to worry about getting on on your hook point. good luck and i hope this info is helpful.