How to rig live bluegills for flatties?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gportsbaseball, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ok so i have trouble rigging bluegills to the point where they will still move around and live for a long time, where is the best place to put my hook on a bluegill or shad, and how do i prepare them?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Justin. There are alot of threads on this site regarding this very question. If you look in the library, Im sure you'll find plenty of information there. Personally, I like to hook mine in the back just under the dorsal fin. They live a pretty good while that way. I hope this helps!

3. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks for the reply!

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    No problem bro! I hope you get into some big flatties as we move into the fall.

5. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    For flatheads you want them to be live... JMO

6. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    ha thanks, i was planning on keeping them alive.

7. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    We also usually hook them right underneath the dorsel fin. They stay alive a while that way and they can still move around. There is no better sound than your bait clicker singing to you or hearing the thump of your rod.

8. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Yes I also hook my bait throw the dorsal fin above the back bone don't hit the back bone . You don't have to get very deep about a half inch. you don't wont to get to for forward if youget in the ribs they will die. If you get in the back bone they will die. if you get it wright they will live for a week . I will take the bait of the hook when I take up my lines.Put them in the live well with an airiator , use them agin next week when I go back . What You don't won't to do is cast your reel with live bait hooked like I do if you cast you will sling the bait of the hook . if you hookthe bream deep anough to cast then you will kill the bream . So here is what you do hook the bream like I told you then spool the line of till it gets in the deep water. You fishing from the bank you may have to just flip it out from the bank a little ways . Don't cast it You will sling your bait of. " DEEP WATER CATS "

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    You can hook em' any number of ways. This mainly depends on how you're fishing; shoreline, boat, water conditions ect. If i'm just lobbing it out a little ways, then i'll hook behind the dorsal fin. But if you're repeatedly reelling in and recasting this can backflash the gills. Killing your bait. Because the bait tends to come in backwards when you reel in.
    I like to hook mine just back behind the head, they'll stay healthier. Also you can hook through the corner of one eye and then bring your hook out through the top of the jaw leaving the bait to freely move it's jaw. You can really wing these out farther. hope this helps. Happy Fishing...:cool2:

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When fishing in current (in the river) I always hook my baits in the nose. I go in the mouth and out the top of the nose in front of the eyes (not too deep). If you hook them back by the tail or the back when in current, then they will eventually get tired and turn backwards in the current and then they will drown.

Like some of the others said, you have to cast them gently so they don't fly off the hook (kind of a wide gentle swing of a lob - don't "snap" the cast). Plus casting and reeling in and casting again is real hard on the baits and will kill them. As long as the bait jiggles the rod tip now and then or you can feel the little tugs when you put your hand on the line, then just leave it out there to do it's thing.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Justin. Some good answers above.

12. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks for the replys! this should help me out lot, if any1 has picture or would take a picture and post as a thumbnail, it would b much appriciated.(just to make sure im getting the right idea here)

thanks again! Justin.

13. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fished with small live gills mostly cus i jsut think its a better chance to catch small ones if they bite. But ive hooked them behind the dorsal fished with them for hours and some times if i dont catch a fish :wink: threw them back in the water and had them swim away

14. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have fished them some, and hooked them through the top of their mouth and out a nostril. They will cast well and live a long time, and I think get snagged less this way. You can also clip off part of their tail to bleed and make them swim funny :eek:oooh: which may help. Then if you are done you can keep them in a livewell or let them go. Good luck.

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've caught my 2 best Flatheads with the Bluegill hooked low on the bottom lip. About 3 quarters of the way down to where the mouth starts to split and separate just above the yellowish colored breast.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    River-Keep it Pinned to bottom in moving water,
    thru the nose by cover.

Bottm slack water, 1" up from the tail on lower part.

Under Float ,Below the dorsel fin 3/4 the way back .

all these positions give the bait freedom to swim and move, which keeps them alive longer. IMHO, Good luck Bro.:cool2:

Peteluck likes this.