How to rig for a larger cat....

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by smoofs71, May 28, 2008.

1. smoofs71

smoofs71 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have caught my fair share of fish in the 20-30 lb range, but cant seem to cross over into the big boys. I fish cut skipjack and live shad. What size hook and what size peice of skipjack should I use?? Some people say to use a whole skipjack with one side cut open, but the skipjack i have in the freezer ar 20+ inches......what to do?

Matt

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Matt,
    We use 8/0 hooks and larger. We use lines of 40lb and up with leaders of at least 50lbs test. I prefer 80lb test leaders. I like to use big chunks of skipjack steak. We cut the skippie across the body into 5 inch to 6 inch long or bigger steaks. Remember those big cats can inhale a very large chunk of skipjack. Always cut the skipjack open to release the oils and smell of the bait.

3. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The bait you use depends o the kind of cat you are looking for. For example if i am fishing for flatties i use pumkinseed perch whole and alive about 5-6 inches long, or shad live and whole 5-8 inches long, if its blues you are hunting then fillets or chunks(cut across the fish and use the entire gut pocket) usually bout 4 inches long and 3-5 inches wide. Skipjack guts work verywell, cut the gut pocket out and i use sewing thred to keep it on. Hook it gently a couple of times and then rap the sewing thred aoun it tying it into knot. Make sure you wrap it at least 8- 10 times. this method works well for chicken liver or shad guts, ( even skips that have been froze wil stay on his way). Big flats like cover. Blues hit bluegill as well but they tend to like the slightly smaller gills such as 3 - 5 inch size seems like it works best to me. I use an abu 6000, and 5500 both have mono one 14lb the other is 20lb both heavy cover line. Im to poor to us ebraided line as it eats the eyes out of my poles. But either way flatties have an overbite, they are like a shaerk when they fee they come up under their bait and bite in an upward motion. (if im wrong please forgive me) I am no expert but i LOVE fishing. I tie my live perch off the bottom by at least 6 inches usually 14-18 inches with the weight on the bottom. Blues i use slip weights. I hope this helps you catch more fish. Good luck and good catching.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We've always caught the really big ones on the skipjack heads...As far as line and rigging I use 30 lb cajun red with 80 lb leader..And 60 lb spiderwire braided line on my heaviest equipment..I have several rods-n-reels all rigged up differently..My heavy stuff is for the river I usually use 3 oz flat weight instead of a egg-weight..I use 8/0 circle hooks...And get you a hook sharpener cause those big cats have really tough skin and you need to keep your hooks extremely sharp.Hope some of these tips help...