How to rig a crawdad ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by curtis, Apr 25, 2006.

1. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    I just bought some crawdads that I'm going to try out on the Colorado River. I have never fished with these before, and was wondering if I could get some advice as to how I should rig em up. I don't want to sound like I a novice, becuase I do have good fishin' knowledge, I just want to know the proper, or better way to do things. The more knowledge, the more fish!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There sure is not that many ways to rig a crawdad. Most of the ones I've seen on trotlines were baited with the crawdad held stomach up, and insert the hook near the gut pocket (if crawdads have such a thing.. lol) and run the point out at the bottom of the tail. Some people say to pinch off its pinchers so it can't crawl back up your line and get you into snags. Try to fish it just off bottom so it won't get under rocks or other structure. No way of telling what you'll catch as it is a natural food for all fish.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i always did bottom off the tail up to the top. they stay alive a decent amount of time like that.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Pass you hook starting just behind the head in the meaty area and have it come out the tail. Iff you put it through the frount half of the crawfish it will kill the crawfish.

Now for the best part, if they are big crawfish you don't use them for bait, you eat them. At least that is what we do here in Louisiana. :cool: :byebye:

5. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    Thank you everyone for your advise. I will definitely be tryin out these techniques to see what works best where I'm at. I appreciate the help, and hopefully when I get back, yall will see a new picture of me with a monster cat. Thanks again. Good fishin!

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    A couple of things Curtis, first be sure you can fish with crawdads in Colorado some places don't want you to bring in bait that wasn't taken from their waters. An example is Lake Vermilion in Northern Minnesota, someone brought a southern crawdads up there to fish with and they are taking over the lake. I was night fishing for walleye off a dock, as they don't have cats in the lake according to the guy who lived there, and I kept getting bites and I would set the hook and bring in my leech and a crawdad would hanging on. Took me a bit to realize the crayfish were so thick they were pulling my line and it looked like a bite.
    Second, I had a Friend who would stomp them first and then hook them up and he caught way more than his share of nice size cats. Just a thought if your trying them alive and not getting any hits try a squashed version. He felt the juices that flowed is what made them so appealing to cats. And, maybe you can fish with them if they are dead if Colorado doesn't want crawdads in their waters. Just a thought, good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    i always rigged mine by boiling water w/ a batch of cajun spices. and boiling the crawdads and peel and eat

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Through the tail is how I have always done it, I saw it in an old fishing book that was my dad's way back in the day. Come to think of it I need to find that book, had some good stuff in it.

Aaron

TA2D

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    The way i do it is i get a rubberband and wrap around the middle of the crawdad then i take my hook and slip it between the rubberband and the top of the crawl with the hook pointing up.keeps the crawl alive longer and allows the crawl to move around and do his thing to attract the fish.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Most folks say hook em in the back.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We allways hooked em by the tail Also just used the tail I would suggest taking the claws off. Makes them more a target. Fish know that those claws are mean and shy from them at times. As others have said make sure they are legal to use.

12. kill3r843

kill3r843 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thats what i do seems good for me

13. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
  14. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    thanks for all the information. i am leaving on thursday for the river and will try to use all teqs.

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you get or catch em like earlier post. And they are hardcraws ,just use the peeled tail . Ihave caught many channels by this method. Good Luck on the trip and be safe. cath ya later.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, they are all good ways to do Crawfish but the best way is with Old Bay or Zatarans, steam until red and present them with corn, red potatoes, carrots,onion, sausage, and Cold Beer and Hot Sauce!