how to remove mold and crud

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bomberboat, Nov 30, 2008.

1. bomberboat

bomberboat New Member

State:
    bull shoals, Arkansas
    i just bought a used old boat. it has what i think is mold? om the inside of the hull and on motor hood. it's white crusty looking almost like mud was thrown at from a distance.don't come off without scrapping it. i do not want to scratch the hood. or scratch up all the interior finish. will bleach take it off ?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Bleach should take it off but depending on the finish and the type of paint or whatever surface it is on full strength bleach can also damage the finish. I would dilute down to 50/50 and try that first before going full strength.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    a friend who has had a boat for years said to use vinegar not sure if it would hurt the finish i didnt ask maybe just try a small area at first

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used 4oz of bleach and 4oz of Joy dish soap mixed to a gal of water to wash siding with heavy mold. Works great.

5. bomberboat

bomberboat New Member

State:
    bull shoals, Arkansas
    thanks for the formulas .

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If its a smooth surface, use water and baking soda. I use it to get that stubborn sap and other things off my wife's car. It doesn't seem to scratch the paint....which supprised me. This also worked good when we went camping and got spots all over the car from the campfires. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work on a boat. This method takes some elbow grease, but it works.

7. bomberboat

bomberboat New Member

State:
    bull shoals, Arkansas
    i tried the vinegar today. worked pretty good thanks