How To Properly Use Live Bait

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, May 29, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am curious how everyone attaches live bait on their hook. I have read here that either hooking them through the belly near the anal fins, through the lips, and through the eyes. I am just wondering how everyone does it and opinions on what works best.

2. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've seen it done all sorts of ways. Just under the dorsal fin seems to keep them lively longer for me and the point of the hook is well exposed.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you are going to fish with live bait always remember to check the hook point after you penitrate just in case there is a scale orsomething that might affect hook frpm setting correctly

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I cut their (bluegill, rockbass, crappie) tail and pect. fins of (side fins near gills) off and put a circle hook under their dorsal fin (middle to of back). This slows the bait down and allows for a good head first grab with the hook pointed to the front of their mouth. It also allows them to stay upright better for a good presentation. If you hook them through the lips the line can get in the way for a good grab. It also make it hard for them to pump water through their gills so they don't live as long. JMO

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Most of the time whether I'm useing bluegill, shad or any other baitfish I normally always hook my bait right behind the dorsal fin near the tail. the reason I do that is because catfish generally eat their food head first due to the way the bait's fins run. That way as soon as the cat hits the bait he wont normally feel the line or the hook however i do normally let the cat run with my bait a little longer though just to make sure he has it all in his mouth. Just just the way I do mine and have great success with it. I've heard of many people going through the eyes and lips. And I do on occassion hook creek chubs in the lips because their fins are so soft I was told a cat will eat them any which way. BUt 95% of the time its near the tail for me.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its just according what kind of live bait im using if I am using a minnow I will usually hook them from the bottom lip and out of there head, but if its a big piece i will cut it up and use it as cut strips.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in current hook them in the forehead. in slack water hook them just above the anal fin(they act more natural that way).

8. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hook them under the mouth back up through the nose.They will live longer and most fish hit the head first.This will set you up for a good hook set.

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    im with iron cat i like to hook them under the bottom lip thought there nose hole stay on good and doesn/t turn the hook back in them. Seen tons of monster caught that way. I Dont fish circle hooks on live bait im a jerk hook man