how to preserve shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by recordbreakin1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was wondering if any one could give me some tips for preserveing shad in the freezer.I caught them fresh last winter but it was hard to find them sometimes.So I'm gonna try to get some stored away for the winter if I can't find live ones.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fresh will always be your best bet but there are times when they are hard to come by. I tried this last year and fished them along side fresh and caught fish on them and really couldn't tell the difference from fresh. When you catch them try to not let them sit in water, this will soften them up pretty quick especially when it's hot. Put them on ice as soon as possible. When you get home with them spread them out on news paper and pat them dry with paper towels. Take borax and spread it liberally on them then flip them over and coat the other side. I vaccum sealed them and they worked well. I also put some in gallon freezer bags and tried to get as much air out of the bag as possible these also worked well but the vaccum sealer worked better. Hope this helps.

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I take the gallon ziplocs with me and fill them as I can. Be sure you have a cooler full of ice to put them on quickly. Like 777 said, you dont want them to stay wet.

Why Borax?

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Ray, this is a tip I got from a guy in south Carolina. I thought he was crazy but I'll try anything ounce. It definately makes a difference it will toughen them up and they are a pretty firm like fresh shad when you thaw them out. The longest I kept some frozen to test them was 3 months and they were in pretty good shape when I thawed them out. They will still bleed when you cut them just like fresh caught. Been wanting to test it with skips but haven't so far.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Johnny for a good tip. Never heard of the borax being used.

6. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid I used to fish with an old commercial fisherman from Florida. He always froze bait with salt. Said it preserved it. The bait did stay good. The shrimp we always used was always brown, not pink as it gets when its old and soft.

7. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Vaccum sealed bags and quick freezing, works really good.:wink:

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    We go to the Dollar store & get bagged cornmeal, roll e'm in it then bag e'm up, they bleed when you cut e'm, plus after casting out the water dissolves the meal off.