How to preserve fox urine?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by lagarto, Mar 11, 2007.

1. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you've seen my other thread, you know i raise Silver fox--a couple of deer hunting friends have begged me to save/collect urine for them (is it expensive or something?), which is not a problem because they pee in the exact same place every day, I can probably fill a bucket in a week ! my question is, do the professionals that collect it use a preservative of some type, or is it 100% 'as collected' when sold? I thought it would mold/spoil if left too long with out refrigeration (which is Not going to happen here)..anybody know about this?

thanks,

KS

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have kept wild coyotes in a pen for several months for collecting urine, I never used any preservitives although I would strain it ,and then pour it through a coffee filter to remove impurities.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

the pros use no preservites neither should you

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have frozen a gallon of Bobcat urine, and seen no ill evects. when thawed out. I keep all of my urine in a dark, or should say .area wher the sun dont shine. as well as lure. the freezen part .I'am not saying this is gospel, just that I done it and, It seem to work.
    If your going to collect the urine, try to feed, a diet of a wild fox, dog food,
    fox urine is't the best, also one drop of skunk to a gallon of fox or coyote urine dosent hurt a thing. probely would work in cat urine, they seem to like skunks. getting a gal of cat is a little more of a job, sure hate, holding those cats, tell they pee,
    best of luck
    Jim

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I collect red fox urine in season and most trappers I know that collect it use gliserine to preserve it and prevent freezing. Untreated urine gets really ransid after a while even when refrigerated but the amonia smell will go away after hour or so when exposed to the open air.

6. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks, glycerin was the stuff I'd heard of before, couldn't rememebr. Will try it and see! -KS