how to power my bait tank ????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Montgomery, May 2, 2009.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ok i took a 55 gallon plastic drum. and i cut it down a little . and also maid a pretty decent lid. but this is my guestion. i know bilage pumps work off a marine battery. but what if you had a different small pump. one with a regular plug end. like that plugs in your house. and wanted to some how run it off a car or marine battery. do they sell any type of adapter. see i want to use a pump that has a inlet and out let tubes. so i can drill a whole in the drum, run the inlet tube through it .so it will suck in . then run an oulet tube up to another point. and my pump is to be mounted outside of the water. all the bilage pumps i find. would have to go inside of the tank. and there designed to suck in water through the bottom of them. this will cause clogging and stuff. by placing the pump outside the tank. i can then use a pre-filter on the inlet pipe. to prevent clogging from happing in the first place.if anyone here does aquariums . you might know what a poer head is. if so then this is what i want to use. how can i power it in a boat ??? if i could pull up to fish . and not have to walk far, i could use a cigaret lighter adapter thing in my truck ???? help

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    the other day my wife did a craft show that ran into the night, we used battery lamps, the booth down form us has some good lighting so checked out how they did it, simple they took a ac power converter and hooked it up to a battery, this may work for you too, i saw ac converters for around 20 bucks at wallyworld, o yea they put battery clips on the end replacing the lighter plug

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just need a ac inverter,The best ones are around 100.00 but they are based on output wattage,I'd use one a little bigger than actually needed just to prevent future problems.

4. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i will be looking into one if those. i knew someone on here could help me .

5. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Guys, sometimes it seems we work hard coming up with ways to make things work, when it can be just cheaper to buy what we need,
    I use a 75 gallon bait tank in the back of my truck and I bought an aerator
    that plugs into either 12v or 110v for under $200. with the expense of big baits i didn't want to take chances.

http://www.keetonaqua.com/products.asp?cat=344

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I made a bait tank out of a I believe it was a 30 gallon plastic barrel (Wasnt the 55 gallon). The way I did it I drilled a hole in the top of the barrel, and the ran a 1 inch plastic out thru the hole and enough tubing to drop about 3 feet into the water (I took and placed a 8 oz sinker on the end of the tubing to keep the hose in the water). I mounted the regular 12 volt pump at the top of the barrel, then on the output, I added enough tubing to go around the diameter of the barrel 2 times. and plugged the other end. I then took a drill and drilled holes in the top to hold the tubing in place with wire and then drilled holes into the tubing at a downward angle, the water coming out of the pump added more air to the water going into the tank. The out put, I let gravity do its work. I drilled a hole about 1 foot off the bottom and added a another outlet valve with a petcock on it and another lenght of hose to run over the side of my boat. I like this set up, I have tried using one where you just suck up water from the bottom of the barrell and recirculate it, but the scales off the bait always clog up. This set up, you dont have to worry about that, since you are using fairly clean water.

I also used this while I was catching bait. I ran a switch to the back of my truck, directly from the fuse box, but if you are going to do this, you have to take some kind of straining device to put over the end of the hose, to keep the scales out of the pump, where you can recirculate the water. I just took the end of inlet hose and dropped it into the tank thru my door, in the top.

If I want to keep bait alive a couple of days, I use a battery charger, and old battery.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Once you buy a power converter go to the pet dept at walfart and buy a regular air pump for aquariums that runs on 110v. Get a big one and some hose and the stone ends to make bubbles.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check the specs on the 110v aquarium aerator, and it should tell you how many stones and what size you can run off that pump.