How to paint Camo?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Koon, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm looking for some instructions on how to do a camo paint job. Google searching is just turning up kits but nothing which explains on HOW TO.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Looking for a good description/steps on how this is done.

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Koon, Im no expert but have watched my husband do his boat adn some deer stands this way. Also have had to make runs to town for supplies before for him. He usually buys the cheap Wally World paints in the colors of dark brown, pine green, tan or gray (maybe both), just which ever colors you prefer i guess. Flat finish only, dont want glare. He uses old leaves from flower arrangements or trees for shapes. Im not sure but i think he starts with the dark brown first as a base. makes a solid coating of it. then layers the next colors on from darker to lighter by holdin up the leaves here and there and sprayin around them to leave their shape. It usually looks good...but now im no professional...this is just from watchin him...hope it helps. id say practice first on somethin that dont matter much before you put it on somethin important..that way you are more satisfied with your work.

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Koon,
    Mack's Prairie Wings sells a stencil kit that has instructions for use! $24.99 :big_smile:

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Just buy a dozen cans of spray paint and hire this guy

Attached Files:

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I found several pictures of models that were painted camo. Those guys that build model cars n stuff also do military vehicles. Sometimes you can even find camo plans. They are very precise replicas.
    I just did a Google search.
    best of luck
    just

I just freehanded the pattern with magic marker and then spray painted it.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Franklin

I painted my boat with the kit from Mack's Prarie Wings, not the 24.99 kit, but same principle. You just do it in layers. The link below show pics.

I started with a light tan color - name was marsh brown.
    Then painted several horizontal black streaks along the boat, in a random fashion.
    Then the same thing with mud brown camo paint.
    Then start using the stencils, there were 3 of them in my kit, you do one layer at a time.

Here is how it turned out.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42178

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jeff, do you have Macks web site address?

8. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
  9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Kevin!! I want to check those stencils.