How to not catch bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Nov 21, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I rib my fishing patner "sidekick" alot about his dismal preformance in catching bait..Fellow member H20 Mellon, is a great guy and my best friend, well probably my only friend..But when it comes to catching bait he sucks..I dont know how many times he has said he was gonna get the bait, only to show up empty handed, or with a bucket of 2 inch bluegills, or goldfish he had to buy because the gills were not hitting..More often than not he brings nothing..I learned along time ago, that if he says he is catching the bait, I better get busy and go get us some cause he aint gonna be able to do it :D I have tried many times to show him how to throw a castnet to no avail....When he throws it, the net looks like a parachute that has failed to open, and hits the water with the force of a bowling ball..So if any of you guys want lessons on how to not catch bait, contact Mellon, he is the best!

2. shadow

shadow New Member

Not very nice to your fishing buddy there. He sounds a lot like my buddy---the one that always leaves the beer at home,never brings the bait,only has a $100 bill when it is time to buy gas,hogs the best spots to fish, and, by far the worst thing he does is to laugh at me because he catches more than I do. he wont clean fish, but sure does like it when they are fried golden brown and served on my table. :glare: :D

Our buddies must see something in us that we are unaware of.Stupidity???? This buddy of mine didnt even shed a tear when "Old Yeller" died. Heartless I tell you, I doubt that he has a soul, much less a heart--just a thumping gizzard. But, he is still my friend and I treasure the time we spend together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Flathunter is he putting to much spin on the net before casting it out? If he's trying to cast it to fast or with a lot of power behide it it won't work. Tell him to try an cast it easier and pitch it upward over his target.

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    That's funny flathunter! My brother(typer181) and I go to the bottom of a dam, and it is loaded with gills and shiners. You just have to make sure the net is thrown fully pulled out. Throw in a circular motion (Coin) let it hit the bottom and yank! Good Luck to Water Mellon!lol ;)

5. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    A friend, Dodgeman 4x4, showed me how to use a cast net this past spring and I did very well on my first few trys. But months later, I don't know if I'm not doing it the same or what but it just falls in a heap.

I guess I will have to humble up and call Dodgeman for further instructions. Schoe

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    whats wrong with going to the creek with a small hook n bobber??

7. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    A bobber and a creek would be OK if you were after Gills or chubs but apparently you haven't tried to catch shad without a net. Schoe

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :p I'd have better luck trying to catch Shad on crankbaits that a cast net! :D

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Mellon try tying treble hooks all around your cast net ;)

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    LOL What size net are you trying to use? If it's a large net,try using a smaller net until you get use to casting them then move up to a larger net.

11. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Yea, trying with a 6' to start isn't the best way to learn. On the other hand, I've got a lot of lead from an old cast net now.

Ray

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Whatever happened to 2 people netting? Is this not done anymore? H20 Mellon, just trying to dig you outta this hole. LOL.

13. iccats

iccats New Member

State:
    morgantown, Indiana
    i have never used a cast net. i usually use hook and bobber, but thats prolly because i fish a small pond that produces a lot of gills. one time i pulled over 30 small gills out in less than an hour.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The two people thing is usually used in small creek to catch minnows, shad would be very hard to catch this way.

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cheryl I've never used one of those before.

16. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    hey H2O, try dynamite, it works great for us southern boys. if this still don't work, just light one and hand it to flathunter. i bet he'll quit complaining about your bait gathering problems then. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I know the feeling, when I first started out throwing a cast net. I was throwing tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and every other mexican food group.......LOL........ Heck I even threw some that looked like crescent moons :eek: :D Took me alot of pratice to get the hang of it. Still dont make a good throw every time, but I always manage to get enough bait.

Good luck :)

18. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Take the smallest cast net you can, get a hold of ,3 or 4 feet. follow directions on how to hold it. start with tossing it like a frezbe. Dont try to throw far, just in front of you, put the spin on it. weights will open it.
    Everybody mess up. with a cast. Except the golden few, Distance will come with practice. The time you will mess up is when your buddy is watching.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I definately use a cast net to get shad...it's the only way to go. As far as bluegill I use perch traps. If I had a large water trough...which I will by next year...I could keep bait on hand and not have to rely on catching gills at the spur of the moment. You can bet that the day you don't catch as much bait as you feel you need will be the day they bite like crazy and you run out. I have 4 traps and they provide an endless supply of lively black perch and punkinseeds. As far as crawdads and minnows in a shallow creek or a mudhole, a seine is the way to go. I'll use either the traps or a bobber and hook baited with a piece of nightcrawler to get creek chubs. Rainbow trout is a good bait too by the way. You can catch a limit of five little 6' or 8" stocker fish in fifteen or twenty minutes from the bank of a pit that has them here. They're hard to keep alive...but they will catch a variety of fish. Nice and oily like shad.

20. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i had trouble with nets too,i found using a bigger,heavier net that sinks faster and going to the bottom really helped. :)