How to measure a Flattie?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, May 29, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is how I measure my last Flattie:
    [​IMG]

I have been telling everyone it was 50", but I realize I may have measured it wrong. What is the proper method? Like I did it, or put the tape under the fish on a flat surface so as you are not measuring the curves of the fish? Thanks guys.

Either way, I sent the taxidermist the picture of me measuring it and told him to make the fish 50" according to this method. I certainly don't want the mount smaller than it actually was, but I don't want it any bigger either.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I measure mine in a striaght line from the lips to the tail holding the tape in the middle of the fish without measuring any of the curves.

Dunno if its right or wrong but I think thats the proper way for citations and such.

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    The "correct" method would be to lay the fish on top of a steel ruler or "bumpboard", and measure from mouth to pinched tail. Since a flatheads tail is essentially flat at the end and not forked, the tail pinch won't matter too much. The method you have shown in your photo is going to gain you a couple extra inches or more.

As long as your taxidermist uses the same method to replicate your fish, you'll be good and thats what matters.

But in the fisheries and enforcement world, a horizontal measurement of a fish laying on a ruler is the correct method.

4. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    You should realize that taxidermists do not make the replica, at least in this case he won’t. Your mount dimensions will be the closest to the given measurements that taxidermist could find a blank for. There’s not a great selection of large flatheads blanks available. You have to take what you can get in this case. If I had to guess, your taxidermist will go towards the large side of the measurements you provided.

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, he did say it would take about 4 weeks to get the blank and them he would start molding. He also said the mouth inserts were cast from actual fish and there would be quite a bit of detail in the mouth. I know you fish with R. Robinson alot as I have seen your pictures on his site. I wish I could catch as many big ones as you two do! I know a 57 lb Flat is not unusual to you guys at all.

6. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Yep, Robby is my fishing partner. I suspect he's getting upset, as I haven't been out yet this year. :embarassed: Maybe tomorrow. We catch some good fish, but a fish pushing 60 is ALWAYS reason to celebrate.
    There's one secret to why we catch more big fish than some others. We fish a BUNCH.:smile2: Also, we don't take pictures on the many nights we get skunked. :wink: Congrats on a great fish. They don't come by often enough.

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, the fish did come out of one of Robby's honey holes. I must have got there about an hour before him. He came around the corner and saw I was there and turned around to go to another spot. I felt kind of bad.

I was at the docks tonight catching my bait for tomorrow night and he wasn't around which is unusual for a Friday evening. I was going to offer him some of my bluegills because he said he didn't have much bait last weekend. The gills are starting to bite a little better now with this warm weather.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    David thats a nice Flathead.