How to make fried catfish crispier ?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Drawout, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Do i need to get the grease hotter ? Cook slower ? Or is it in the mix ?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    when you pull it out of the grease, put it on a wire rack over paper towles, this will allow the grease to drain so as not to make the fish breading soggy.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Use a blow torch at 3,000 degrees that should do the trick...lol .I basically do mine the way Tony does and it seems to work pretty well. Get the grease off them quickly....

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You want the grease hot enough that when you flick a drop or two of water in it pops and cracks. The hotter the grease when you take the fish out the faster the grease will drain.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Grease temperature has to be adjusted for thickness of fillets. If the grease is too hot for a thick fillet, it won't be completely cooked when the coating turns light brown, but that's just what you need for small thin fillets. Use a lower temp for the thick fillets so it has a chance to cook all the way through without getting too done on the outside. Most people like their grease about 375 degrees. The old country way of telling if the grease is hot enough is to throw a couple of strike anywhere matches in the grease; when they light, the grease is hot enough. A cleaner method is to drop in several kernals of popcorn; when they pop, the grease is ready. Not as good as a thermometer, but it gets you in the neighborhood.
    What kinda crunchy are you talking about? If you want it really crunchy like the fish restaurants, you need to be using a batter. Mix Bisquick & beer to make the batter; thick batter makes thicker crust; thinner batter makes thinner crust. Season the fillet, dredge in flour, dip in the batter, drop in the grease. You need to be using a cast iron pot deep enough that the fillet doesn't touch the bottom.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Get a thermometer...they are under 5 bucks,keep oil at 365,don't put too many filets in at a time:cool2:

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for the helpful tips guys.

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    all that advice is reall good, perfect to be exact. th thinner filets need hotter grease, but also when you take th fish out, what i do is place my fish on a broil sheet, looks like a cookie sheet but has slits cut in it, it should have a pan that fits under it for th juices (or shortning) to drain, then place in oven at its lowest setting. whatever your warm setting is, that should keep th fish above 140 degrees while you finish cookin th rest of your fish. that is if you have to cook alot of fish.

As far as breading, I mix flour to my corn meal. or my kids favorite recipe for catfish is jiffy corn muffin mix w/flour and salt, pepper, and garlic. I dont know if th wife gets th muffin mix from wal-mart or H.E.B. but try that. I like th beer batter to, that works good on chicken and shrim to.

9. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    all this talk of cookin catfish is makin me hungry how about sendin some fish my way lol maybe some homemade slaw too

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Our normal coating for fried fish is flour & cornmeal mixed 50/50, then put enough Tony Chachere's on top to cover the mixture well. Mix again. Dredge salted fillets in the mixture and fry.