How to make chum out of old corn for catfishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, May 23, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a farmer give me a 5 gal. bucket of old corn and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to make chum out of it. Also do you put the chum in a bag,bucket,etc.? I've never tried chumming but have been told it will work. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Glenn

2. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Get a 12 pack of cheap old beer. put in with the corn. let set about 2 hot days in the sun light. then stir it well. drain out only half the beer.get about six cans of cat food add it to it stir well again. and let set another day or 2 in hot sun light do not put a lid on this stuff. after that chum the spot your going to be fishing early that morning or the day before.

3. Newton

Newton New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Vacatfish,
    when you say 6 cans of catfood, do you mean canned, moist catfood, or do you mean six cans worth of dry catfood kernels?
    Thanks

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Sorry about that newton. was refering to the moist cans.

5. Newton

Newton New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for clearing that up.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    vacatfish,
    Should I leave the 5 gal. bucket full of corn and add the 12 pack of beer? Shouldn't the entire bucket of corn be covered with beer? I don't believe a 12 pack of beer will cover all of the corn in the 5 gal. bucket. Also is there a particular flavor of cat food to use when I add the cat food to the mix? What do you put the chum in when you put it in the river?

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Beer is too expensive.bucket of corn two packages of store bought yeast water top on bucket sunlight for a week and your good to go.

8. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Sorry about that was thinking you had alittle less then half of a 5 gallon bucket of it.

But if you have a whole 5 gallon bucket of corn. i would not go the beer route then. i would get a 6 gallon bucket so i would have 1 gallon of space left. and i would take 1 half gallon of fish meal and add it the pellet type. you can get that most the time at the local farm store. then i would feel the bucket with water covering it all then slowly stir in the fish meal. and let if set in the sun 3 or 4 days.

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    If you have some black spray paint sitting around, paint your bucket black to hold the heat. The hotter it gets the better.
    When I make mine, I use 1 beer and 1 packet of yeast. Leave the lid on loose so it doesn't blow it off, and it also allows the flies to get to it. I know mine is done when the maggots are in it. Smells like death warmed over, but it draws the fish.
    Rat

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, The last time I soured some corn I put it in 1 gallon plastic milk jugs. I filled it about 3/4 full with corn put in some yeast and filled with water. I done it that way so it would be easier to carry in the boat plus you can put the lid on it until you get to where you are going to use it. That helps some with the smell not much but a little. When you get ready to put it out just cut the side out of the milk jug and hold your nose.

ST

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry guys I've kinda been out of the loop for the last few days. I guess I don't quite understand exactly how to make this chum. I split the corn up into 2-5Gal. buckets and covered the corn with water. I did not put any lids on the buckets because I don't have any to fiit these particular buckets. As far as the yeast and the fish meal and whatever else I'm suppose to put in and for how long I guess I just don't know for sure what I'm suppose to do. If I don't get this through my thick head soon I think I will just forget the idea and throw the corn away. HELP PLEASE!