how to make a sabiki rig

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by bluecatnut, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i was wondering how y'all make a sabiki rig because i do not want to spend the money to by em

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    They cost something like two bucks. Man....and I thought I was a tightwad!

The sabiki rigs fall under the umbrella rig law in Tennessee. Better make sure you're legal when fishing them. Also, when you buy them, with some brands, the larger the number, the bigger the hook. Other brands, the larger the number, the smaller the hook.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    One of our sponsor here on BOC....Catfish Connection sells them. And yes, they are pretty cheap.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    it's not that i am a tight wad but i like making things myself i was just wanting guideance because i would love to learn how to make em

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have talked with TWRA, And the wardens. And they all tell me that they are not in the class of a umbrella rig. AS the Umbrella rig has a wire frame with jigs hanging off it.
    Sure wish they(TWRA would clear this up) would do a better job then throwing everything in a pile when they pass a law.
    PEte

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have asked them here on the river and gotten the same answer. But the way it's written up in the regs leaves you wide open for a ticket. I catch enough on curly tails that I don't worry about them anymore. And I have about 12 or 13 packs of them in my tackle bag. I sent you a PM Dusty.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The baitfish I catch on the curly tails at the steamplant are always the pretty big skipjack. I see the guys on the bank catching the much smaller skipjack on what appears to be a sabiki rig. The striper seem to prefer the smaller skipjack. Maybe my lures are just a tad to big. I went on the net and found sabiki rigs and the don't cost much but the lures look kinda specific in how they are built. Gonna find some tomorrow after work for weekend baitfishing.

8. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I made some myself by using some small shimmer jigs from B.P.S. Just tied a snap swivel to the bottom to attach a sinker, tied dropper loops about 6" long about 10-12 " apart and a barrel swivel at the top. Only used 3 jigs, hopefully to avoid tangles. Haven't used them yet but I'm confident they'll work. :rolleyes:

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
  10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    From the TWRA website:

Umbrella rig restriction - Umbrella rigs are defined as an array of more than 3 artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination. If the hook size is 6 or larger, then only one lure or bait may have a hook and that hook must be a single hook.

I know what most people call umbrella rigs are on a wire frame, but the TWRA rules don't say anything about that.

I have fished with a sabiki rig a few times but always cut off all but 3 hooks. Personally, I think 2 or 3 crappie jigs spaced about a foot apart works just as good or better.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer not to use a sabiki rig, but to simply use two crappie jigs tied in tandem. Occasionally, when the skippies are deep, I'll add some weight onto the end of the line, but that's rare. I've fished this rig right alongside a sabiki rig, and couldn't tell that one did any better than the other. One advantage the crappie jigs have over the sabiki rig is that since the jigs are on dropper loops, it's very easy to change jigs, allowing you to try a different color or weight. Sometimes that makes the difference between catching an occasional skipjack and filling a couple of buckets with them.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dusty,
    I know what you mean; I will sometimes spend 10 bucks to make something I could have bought for $8.50 just because I like the therapy and challenge aspect of making things. You can make them from jigs like Kev suggested or you can make them entirely from scratch. Look up and learn how to tie a dropper loop and a snell. Use the snell to hold the body material to the hook shank. Get some hooks with an upturned eye and you can go for it. You can use all kinds of things to make the bodies: cellophane, tinsel, feathers, fur etc. I used to make my own feather lures for mackerel when I lived in England. They were dirt cheap to buy but it was something to do when the weather was crappy!...W

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Jtrew the skipjack that you are catching what size are they?? The skipjack that I have been catching are fairly large, I am going to try some crappie jigs like you suggested.

14. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I use white soft plastic crappie jigs, on 1/8oz jig heads. The jigs are $1.00 for a pack of 50, and the jigheads are 10 for $1.37. I tie 3 to 4 on one line 6" to 8" apart and i usually put 2 split shots 6 inches above the first jig to keep it under the water while im reeling fast. I think the faster I reel the better I do at hooking up, and I dont seem to catch many other types of fish.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We make a spring skipjack run to Pickwick every year and catch a freezer full of skippies. The skipjack there tend to run very large for skippies; I would say that about ten percent of the skipjack I catch here in Arkansas run as big as the average skipjack at Pickwick. Also, if I can catch 10# of skipjack in half a day here in Arkansas, it's an exceptional trip; in the same time at Pickwick, I'll fill several five gallon buckets.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dusty, I have caught many a skip in clear water with two or three of the smaller size gold crappie hooks tied on a line. This is very usefull if you find yourself without much tackle. Usually the ones that you catch are smaller, but I prefer the smaller skips better. A tip to help them hit it is to leave a skip on the front hook and "chasers" will usually get the other hooks. Vern

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Oh I almost forgot. Use a small crappie jig on the back for your weight. Vern