How to make a jugging rig with a walmart type bouy(pic included)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by xposedguts, Oct 13, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well im sure anyone can figure this out but probably not everyone thinks of using a marker bouy for jug fishing. You can buy them at walmart for $3, and other simular stores. They market it as a bouy to mark a good fishing spot so you dont loose it, but they make perfect jugs. Attached is a picture of a good way to rig them for jugging, well it works for me.

1. Take of the tiny weight that comes with them(inless you want to chase your jugs around all over the lake/river). I usually tie up a good amount of weight so the fish dont drag it.

2. Attach a 3-way swivel from the line coming from the bouy.

3. Attach another line to the swivel that you will tie your weight of choice to. (Make the line whatever length you want to fish off the bottom).

4. Last, attach a leader line of choice to the swivel with a hook on the end and bait up. (I use a heavy test cajun line usually) .
    Drop it in the water and the bouy will unravel till the weight hits the bottom. The bouys come with 75feet of line on them.

Again pretty self explanitory and easy but I just wanted to share how I use this type of bouy for jug fishing.

Attached Files:

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Hope you do not have a fish take it down and hang it up. As those do not hold up a lot of weight. I know I put a 5 lb weight on one. Was fishing and the wind was moving it. And it did not come back up.
    Pete

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, with anchored jugs, I think you have two choices: use a weight so heavy a fish can't move it much (35# concrete block minimum), or use a weight small enough that your jug can float it. As Pete said, those marker buoys don't have much floatation capacity; my 2-liter soda jugs only have about 4#, so I use a 2# weight. (I could go to 3# if I pushed it.) My soda jugs are free, but it does cost me about a nickel each to paint them bright yellow. Three or four ounces of clean gravel, scraps of lead, etc. don't cost anything, and do two nice things for me. First, the weight keeps the wind from blowing the jug around so much; second, when a fish hits, the weights slide down into the neck of the jug letting me know I need to check it. These features are probably more needed on freefloating jugs than on anchored jugs. Incidentally, while there are times & places where I like to use anchored jugs, I have more fun and catch more fish with freefloating jugs. Again, there are my personal preferences. There are probably more ways to make a jug and rig a jugline than you could count. None of them are wrong so long as they are legal and work for the user.

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a 5lb weight and target smaller channels and bulls from off my dock(since i dont have a boat yet), the water isnt too deep. Its nice when the bite is slow because i can put them out late at night and check em in the morning. Still dosnt replace rod and reel though:roll_eyes:. Anyway thanks for the info guys, this is just the method I have found works best for me.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally I'd just as soon buy them from Gene Chambers (Wild Wolf Products)who just happens to be a member of the BOC and a great sponsor.Support him much as you can.The heck with Wally World.
    Just my opinion!!

6. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I understand i support him, im puting an order in for some bobbers and glow sticks soon, but its easier and cheaper for me to make my own jugs.