How to make a homemade frog trap

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by daredevle, Sep 5, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does anyone know how to make a frog trap?:eek:oooh:

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Whether you want frogs for fishin' or eatin', my favorite way to get them is to shine a spotlight in their eyes, then snach 'em quickly with your hands. Make sure to keep the light right on them not giving them darkness one moment, or they'll be gone. Keep 'em wet by putting them in a closable mesh bag and dipping it in water momentarily. Another way is to knock them unconcious with a limber stick or crappie rod (inhumane, I know...don't slaughter me over it). Or if you only want bullfrogs, dangle a crappie lure in front of them with your fishing line. They'll bite it and you'll have 'em hooked like a fish. The leapord frogs good for bait can't seem to fit the whole thing in their mouth. Anyway, hope that helps, although it's not a trap.

-Red

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    never heard of a frog trap before. I've caught bullfrogs with trout flies already. thats fun.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

oh it can be done what kinda frogs are you trying to get? leopards????

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    gigging is easy and works great. maybe shoot em? spotlights. trapping them will probably be very difficult

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If someone can go into detail and take a few pics, maybe we can get something into the library. Someone out there knows how to make one.

7. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks guys i will try all of those except the rod hitting not being mad at you i just dont like that it is inhumane oh BTW i use them for fishing:wink:thanks brothers god fishing and god bless

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

someone remind me next year when it warms abck up and i will do a step by step on how to trap leopard frogs for bait

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Another way is to get out in a private pond with a .22
    Make sure u have high velocity rounds, shine a spotlight on the frogs and SHOOT UNDER THEM.
    This stuns the frog and you can then go pick it up. The come back to life in a couple minutes. We use small flat bottom boat for this since you can cover more water than wading and is alot cleaner.
    Sometimes it kills the frogs but leapard frog legs taste good too, just not much meat on them.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I forgot to say, shoot right under their chin, u r hitting the mud that they r sitting on. It will flip them over on their backs.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i never have seen a frog trap but i had an idea for one. i had 70-something bullfrogs get loose in the backyard a few years ago, and they ate all my wife's toads in her garden, so we don't have a toad one anymore, and they frogs have since disappeared. BUT ANYWAY- i used to mess with the toads in the garden my dragging a red and white crappie tube down the garden rows, and toads would be coming out of the woodwork to kill it. no hook, just messing around. i catch bullfrogs and leopard frogs with a crappie tube, so i know they like it. i was thinking if you had some type of a wire trap in a froggy area, and had a jig dangling from the wire, the frogs might go in for it. i tied a crappie jig to the hose reel where it was about 8 inches off the ground behind the house, and had over 100 toads jumping up to get it. you could hear the noise from their mouths popping even in front of the house.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well one one i have done it with leopards frogs. is to take a large crawdad trap and make the hole baout an inch bigger around(maybe an inch and a half) go to the pet store and get ya a clear plastic cricket holder. get it filled up with crickets and get ya one of those little water things for the crickets(look like a sponge)put the whole container inside of trap go find a good place in the woods with alot of leoprad frogs around put the trap down were it will do the most good and leave. come back in the moring and there will be leopard frogs in it trying to eat the crickets take them oout and repeat till you have enough for bait