How To Locate Shad In The Ohio River

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by KYCATFISHHUNTER, Apr 18, 2006.

1. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Hi Fellas,
    Im Went Out And Bought A Cast Net About A Month Ago. I Havent Practiced As Much As I Should But I Can Throw It Alright. But Now I Ran Into A Bigger Problem. I Dont Know How To Locate Shad In The Ohio. I Have To Throw From The Shore. Please Help!!! Thank For Any Info.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, castnetting from shore can be tuff. I catch a lot of my shad in the mouths of feeder creeks. I have also caught them around boat ramps at times. Sometimes you can see them "flipping" and throw over them. In the heat of summer there will be schools on the top everywhere, you just have to get it over them. Watch out for snags, they can wreak havoc on a new net. Good luck. Vern

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    not entirely sure but i have heard of people getting quite a few around the greenup locks and dam.

4. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Jeff I have been throwing my nets from the bank for about 18 years now and I can tell you what I look for when throwing.

First I never throw my net into more than 2-3 feet of water. I look for sandy slow sloping banks with Small round moss covered rocks, these tend to attract the shad and pull them within easy reach. I also try to keep a safe casting distance from the shad. Meaning if they are working the bank I want to be at least 5-6 ft from the water at all times, with my net draped in the throwing position. I will walk the bank slowly trying not to make to much noise and look for the telltale silver flashes or the tail tipping out of the water. Luckily in the Cincy area there are alot of places where you can walk 15-30 ft into the river and only be in 2-3ft of water.

Another great resource for shad is small feeder creeks that have shallow pools within 1/4 mile of the main river. I have a special 3 ft net I use in the creeks It is 1/4" mesh nylon and super easy to throw. It works well on big shiners also and is easier than seining by yourself.

Backwaters and flooded fields are also good places.

My #1 rule for myself is never throw into anywhere you can't see the bottom unless you have waded it first. Also it has been my experience that nets and current never match.

Hope it helps

5. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jeff, Me and one of my buddies have been goin through the same problem you are. We dont have a boat and we try catching our shad from the end of docks around the Ohio River, using a cast net. (we also try the mouths of creeks) We usually dont catch very many (5 or 6) just enough for a short catfishin trip. So I guess I am not the only one in this situation.