How to kill

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Hawk52, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hawk52

Hawk52 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey everyone im new to trapping and am getting ready for the season to start here in Ohio. I was just wondering what the most effective way to kill a traped animal is. I was thinking it would be to shoot it, but then that would damage the fur, right? Any tips would be geatly appreciated.

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    When I trapped I carried a .22 pistol. One round to the back of the head was quick and humane and I never had any complaints from the fur buyers.

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    A good .22lr or .22 Magnum to the head will do it every time. Quick and painless. Get a revolver or semi-auto pistol so it's easy to pack around with your gear. You can get some single action revolvers with interchangable cylinders for both catridges.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andrew Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I agree with the above two post on the 22. Good trapping.:0a25::0a25:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I prefer .22 shorts or CB caps for coon and yotes other methods for other animals. This is usually a topic that isn't widely discussed in open forum because it can become fodder for antis if the wrong thing is said .. so it is best that any detailed discussion be carried on through PMs .... Garry-

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glad to have ya with us on BOC.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Most will say a 22 to the head,I much prefer head shots on any reversed case skinned critters. Coon ETC. For Coyote ,Fox I prefer to shoot in the lung area with a 22 short or cb cap
    When you skin one shot in the head you'll know why.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

a .22 mag is way to big a round to be useing for trapping. .22 shorts is all u need but there are many other ways to dispacth a trapped animal with out the mess i wont post them but if you wish to know pm me and we can talk about it

9. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i always put a .22 round in the ear would go in one and out the other no damage to the fur

10. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gonna go with the majority on this one. I got a little .22 revolver that rides with me on the trapline. Never done me wrong.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Andrew. When I was growing up we did some trapping. We always used a 22 to the head. It kills them relatively quick. And it only leaves a small hole. Good luck and let us know how you do.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Andrew. 22 short here also.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I trapped I mostly just hit em over the head with a club.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Make sure they are at the end of the stake chain then thump them.

15. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would have to agree. A shot to the head leaves a lot of mess (blood) to clean up. One in the heart area, and a minute or two of patience, will make cleaning the pelt MUCH easier! It is still humane.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    pole syringe or a club is what we used. we trapped along canals that were in peoples' backyards so a pistol would not have been practical. aside from that, we'd use drowning sets whenever possible. use hydrogen pyroxide with the pole syringe and it works pretty fast. no blood anywhere, and it's also a good way to dispatch live trapped animals. just hit them right behind the shoulder.

17. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC and the sport of trapping. 22 rimfire is fine for most critters, I'd be leery of trying them on coyotes though, I quit using medium-low powered .22's and now use CCI or .22magnum or anything I happen to be carrying as our yote pelts are worthless. We used the syringe method on skunks years ago to save the essence. PM me and I can give you some other methods Ive used. If its a water critter then drowning sets are best. Theres alot of different drowning setups too. Check your local laws too as some states have age limits/restrictions for weapon types ie: long guns and handguns. Old standby for a long time has been a single shot .22 rifle.

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    A catchpole does the job here most of the time for cats and yotes with no mess,a good whuppin stick usually fixes the coons and fox get the knee drop/compression method,I use a .22 pistol sometimes but try not to advertise my locations so quiet is usually better. I'd much rather have a nice blood free holeless critter to skin anytime,it saves alot of work trying to wash the pelt. Us drowning rig where ever you can.

19. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Drowning sets and a .22 Step on the chest for awhile after you knock them down( suffication). Had some "experiences" with racoon in the past. Man, hard to kill. :eek:oooh:

20. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009