How to kill a fish ?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    OK people, I dont know how you guys are killing your catch when your getting ready to clean but my methods are not working. Im tired of spending an hour filleting them out and another hour cleaning the kitchen( Walls, cabinets, backsplash, floor etc.) No matter what i try it always ends up looking like a Texas Chain Saw Massacer movie in the kitchen.

I ve tried knocking them in the head with a hammer, and i think there good and knocked out. But when i start to fillet them i get one side done flip them over and the start flopping again, throwing blood and stuff everywhere.

I just need to find out how to kill them quick and all the way dead ? (LOL)

Im not going to get into any of my other methods of how i tried. But i hope I hear of an idea I have not tried.

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    personally i wouldnt clean them in the house, i just set up a couple saw horses with an old peice of plywood on them and get to work no need to kill them. then u just use the hose to wash your plywood off and your done, throw the meat in a pan with salt water and your good to go.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    manny i use a old square table leg but a hamer is fine you just got to lay it on that old head thay are tuff so put some umfh into it if you crack thear head when you hit them the flopping is over i usly hit hard enogfh to split ther head a little

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I built a 4'x8' cleaning station outside with a double stainlees sink, water and elec. It's a lot easier to clean up than the kitchen.

To dispatch a catfish I use a long ice pick inserted in the soft spot between there eyes. Once it goes back and hits there spine it paralizes them instantly.

5. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This year I started bleeding them out - hang 'em up, cut the tail off (while they're still alive), and let them bleed... seems to help with the mess when you go to clean 'em, too...

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i clean then outside i nail their head to a board and skin them then fillet them works well rick

7. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
  8. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    That is the exact same way i do it, and all other fish. My main question is HOW TO KILL the fish in order that it dont flop around while im filleting it.
    I guess ill have to set up shop outside.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    give them a smack in the head with a hatchet , gut the fish , cut the tail off so they will bleed out , grab the next fish and repeat , do all this out side wait 10 minutes , spray off with a hose , then u could take them inside the house and wont leave much mess at all .

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if its legal where u fish just fillet them out at the lake and bring home the fillets .

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use a 7" piece of stiff steel wire set into a broomstick handle. Catfish & bullheads all have a "channel" that leads from their forehead back into the brain and spinal cord.

A long skinny fillet knife will also do it on most smaller cats.
    But the wire works on everything. However the fillet knife is the easiest to learn how to find the spot. Start with the tip of the knife dead center, between the eyes. Slowly move forward towards the nose keeping the blade centered with just light pressure. When it "drops" into the channel bring the handle down so that it lines up with the backbone without moving the tip. Slip the knife or wire up the channel till it "jerks" you'll see the change instantly.

May take up to a minute for them to be "Dead" dead, ie not moving, twitching, etc. But this takes the fight out of them right now.

I also like to bleed my cats before I kill them. Cut tail, cut a gill, slice from below the gills up into the heart, whatever you like. Normally I cut them then put them into a bucket of cold clear water to bleed a bit. Then kill and cut off fillets.

Fillets go into icewater until I'm done butchering.
    Then I fillet the skin off, package and freeze. Seems to help on keeping things clean to do it in stages.

Only thing I do different than the posted link is I use a fillet knife and I don't cut off the ribs.

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Cut off their tails while they are in your live well and they will be bled out by the time you get home.My wife would kill me if I fillet them in the kitchen I do it on the driveway and spray it off with a hose.

13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Manny, through the years I have tried all the above:eek:oooh: the one that works for us is when we're ready to quit I get the fish out of the livewell one at a time and cut his gills under his head, the connection part, it's soft and will do the job to bleed them out which is very important I think.
    when we get to the camp ground the catties are bled and dead or almost but will be soon no fight, bled out, and ready to filet:wink: and I donot cut into the ribs either, but if it's a larger cat you have to get the belly meat:big_smile: