How To Keep Your Bait In Your Tank!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a quick and easy way to keep your bait from jumping out of your bait tank. First of all, some baits jump more than others. Carp, Bass, and Creek Chubs are notorious for their jumping abilities, along with warmouth. My suggestion is to try to keep water levels at a minimum for your holding tank, or apply a simple screen to cover the tank keeping them from jumping out... BUT, my biggest suggestion is to simply leave a light on for them! Most of these fish will arch out of scare in the dark fearing other baits or movement around them are predatory ! Leave a light on in the garage, shed, etc. overlooking the water. And I bet you won't have the lost bait laying on the floor the next morning from them jumping out all night !:wink: rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also, cooler water temps. will keep them frisky guys from being idiots when there! rollo

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, good idea, but I have a better one, keep your bait in your freezer!:wink::smile2:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought frozen wasn't as good as fresh Jack.?:big_smile: rollo

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    All great ideas, I just wonder if a constant light would raise the stress level of the bait causing them to suck more oxygen and die easier?

Just a thought I thought I would throw out there...:eek:oooh:

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    we use a old deep freez and we just shut the top door to it and no bait jump out

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    duct tape and cardboard :big_smile:

8. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I USE A BIG CAGE AND A POND. MY BAIT NEVER HAS ANY TROUBLE WITH JUMPING OR DIEING. JUST THE KIDS SNATCHING IT BEFORE DAD HAS A CHANCE.

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use a drop net.To cover my tank .Its not funny when your baits jump out.:angry:

10. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    When I try to keep bait alive , I use a net to cover the tank , just make sure you oxygenate the water and keep them cool.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol i agree jack iv never had my bait open the freezer and jump out thay just chill out and be good lol:crazy::roll_eyes::smile2::cool2::wink:

12. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    in my experiences . when i leave all lights out . i never have fish jump out. but when i leave a light on at all. thats when i start losing fish to the floor. and ever since i stoped useing a light . i have lost less fish if any . and i do not have a lid for my tank . i have most likly just been lucky though . and also i cant say i have fished a ton either . not near as you all. so less fishing, less bait in tank , less chance to lose . but that is just my personle experience.. just wanted to share ...

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Rollo - my live sunfish in my well when flathead fishing have a tendency to try and jump out at night. There's not really any way to keep a light on for them, but I honestly never thought about it being because they get scared in the dark. My well only gets filled about a third of it's height, so they don't usually make it out of the tank, but it still makes me jump pretty good sometimes when I'm all relaxed in the middle of the night, and then one of the little rascals decides to JUMP!

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    i just give them a good firm talking to, and let them know that if they jump out they will lay there and die until the next morning, seems to work...:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2: