How to keep spam on the hook (tip)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by buckeyejim, Mar 24, 2008.

1. buckeyejim

buckeyejim New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used spam for channel cats and have caught lots of them.A few blues also.Just wanted to give a tip for those having trouble keeping spam on a hook.Cut into squares.Then run your hook through the square.The square will be on the shank of the hook.Turn your hook 180 degrees and push the hook back into the spam.Place a small piece of match stick or a small twig in between the bend of the hook and the spam then pull the hook and twig tight against the spam.By looking at the under side of the spam your hook and small piece of stick will form a + supporting the spam on the hook.With this method you can cast your spam as far as you please and it is also harder for the fish to knock it off of your hook.If you haven't tried this before give it a shot works great! Hope this helps someone. Good Luck everyone. Jim
    [​IMG]

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info

3. buckeyejim

buckeyejim New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No problem eky.Have read several post about it and thought I would chime in and let everyone know what works for me.I had the same problem starting out using spam myself years ago. Oh yeah guess this would be post #10 also WOOOHOOO! Jim

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Great idea, thanks.... bet that would work with other soft baits as well..I'm gonna be carrying a pocket full of wooden toothpicks with me from now on.....

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think I would cut into chunks I was going to use and pre hook and freeze and when ready to fish use a quick clip swiville. the water temp will thaw the spam out realy fast and this method works really great for you liver fishermen.

6. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Hey Jim thanks for the tip!