how to keep shad guts??

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by 187um, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i just recently learned from an old-timer about using shad guts great bait!! but i was wondering if anyone does or has tried to keep guts to use at a later date. i was going to cut out the guts put in tupperware and freeze them good idea?? anyone with any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob your freezing idea will work just fine. I've used them many times after being frozen. I'm not sure about the shelf life time.

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanks mickey

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Use them frozen all the time, can be refrozen several times as long as you don't let em get to warm.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We used to cut out and freeze thousands of pints per year of them. Keep them from getting warm while cutting them out. As they will start swelling up of they get warm. That will allow them to turn black on you.
    Its one of the best baits there is.
    pete

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Inquiring minds want to know...how do you manage to keep that much shad cool while you're gutting them; and with that many guts, how do you manage to freeze them quickly? I mean, if you're putting 50# of guts into a freezer, that's going to make a pretty thick stack, which will take a while to freeze.

7. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Freezing them in Quart size bags is your best bet. Just a bag or two out the day before or the morning before the night you plan to fish. And set them in the fridge. (its best to have a fridge designated to that type of stuff) By the time your ready to fish, there thaw'd. As you fish keep them chilled in a cooler with ice. You dont want them to warm at all. If its a lasst min fishing trip. Just simply set them in a bucket of cool water and let them thaw. Once thawed or close to it, place them in a cooler with ice to keep them cool.

Gizzard guts has to be one of the best baits hands for channels cats and smaller blue cats. Stripers relish them as well....

8. dexta

dexta New Member

State:
    illinois
    how do you keep them on a hook

9. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Use the right size hook to match the bait is the main thing. Ive switched to circle hooks when using cut bait/guts. I use abu garcia's mainly and depends on the cituation on weather i use my reel engaged or disengage, but thats anoth topic all on its on.

For those that use circle hooks Keep in mind to step up in a size or two to keep the same size gap between the very tip of the point of the hook to the shank of the hook as the size of straight-J that you normally would use to ensure you get a good hook set. For gizzard guts I use to use a 3/0 eagle calw #084 bronze. Being I use circle hooks now I use 6/0 Gamaktsu Octopus circle.

When I hook gizzards guts I first put the hook through the gizzard (that hard ball inside the gut wad). Then the rest of the gut wad just keep running the hook point through the guts until you have it all on the hook. Basically you wrap the guts on the hook. Make sure to leave the point exposed well.

10. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I've been useing sewing thread to wrap the intrails on my hooks seems to work ok for me.

11. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    My experience has been that once you put your hook through the gizzard(little hard ball) you're pretty much set. I just thread the rest of the mess on like I would a worm. Lots of times when you reel in a fish that little gizzard will still be on your hook. Fish on! Doug

12. dexta

dexta New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for all the insight on hooking the shad guts, much appreciated

Now I gotta go get me some