How to keep livers on the hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by BILLYP, Aug 23, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    My grandpa showed me a trick about useing a #10 croshet needle from walmart.
    First you start by making your leader with the treble hook on one end and a loop on the other. Take the croshet needle and feed it through the liver to where the circle end is sticking out the other side. Hook the circle end to the loop and slide the chicken liver down the leader and on the treble hook.
    Cast away
    This makes the chicken liver sit in the middle on the hook instead of on the outside of the hook - produces more harder hits witch equals more fish in the boat.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    a friend of mine showed me a few years back his way , now I myself have never did it but I dont fish with it either. but anyways he would use ice cube trays ans a singel hook in each spot with the liver and feeze them on the hooks and he would use a quick clip on the end of his line . When fishing he kept the ice trys in a cooler and just put them on as needed save the hooks and do it all over again.

3. vinnie

vinnie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive been using these. They work great.

[​IMG]

4. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I guess while were on the subject I will tell how I use them. When I use them I just drop a chunk down into some panty hose tie it off then tie it off again for my next peice. I do this over and over. Or untill I have enough bait for the trip. It seems to work pretty good. Just put the ones your not using at the time in the left over blood. My 2 cents

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    An easy method that works well is using 2-3 foot of sewing thread. After putting the chicken liver on the hook just wrap the thread around the liver. No need to tie it.

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I use stuff called Magic Thread, it is stretchy but not too hard to break. It is used for tying spawn sacks for trout fishing. It is also sold under the name Spider line. To me, it is the quickest and easiest, but I have not tried those hooks, they look they would work. The magic thread also works great on gut sacks!

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here is one for ya: Dump out the liver into a large ziplock bag and set into the freezer for 2 hours. Each 1/2 hour roll it around some. This helps each piece of liver to freeze on its outside edges. Other wise only the outside of the combined liver will freeze. What I do next is precut mine into pieces. A razor sharp knife is a must with liver. Cut cleanly through the membrane !!! I always cut it because I find it better to hook on 2 pieces side by side rather than looping/threading on one large piece. Next I put it back into its original container. After that it back to the freezer. All I do is freeze up a gal milk container and use it in a cooler to keep to liver kinda frozen. If its still frozen when ya hit the lake just take it out for a few and the top will thaw fast. G'luck

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i use have those ,B /I L gave them to me never have used them yetnever seen them before or used them . is that what there for ? also use hair nets , the thinner the better put how ever much liver your gonna use in the net cinch the net off (tie)and tie it right to the hook with some line (eye of the hook )works for me

9. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Caught this idea from a retired cop who fished nothing but chx livers. When tying his hook on he would leave a 6-8inch length of tag line. After hooking the liver through the tougher membrane a couple of times he would wrap the remaining liver onto his hook with the tag line. The end of the tag would then go through the hook eye and wrap around the standing line. I've used the method for years. Even in some strong current the liver stays attached. Granted it has to be fresh liver. Nothing that's been sitting in the sun.

10. Fishin Freak

Fishin Freak New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hehe Take a trip to your local walmart to the womans department (love the looks i get) find the cheapest panty hose you can see think its something like 0.99 cents for a pack of the 4 knee high ones no need for the top part, Take those home and cut them up into 3-4" Squares then hook the liver then wrap the panty hose around the liver and hook the hose on the barb of the hook and there ya go :)

11. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    take your livers cut them how ever you like then put in a bowl add 1 box of table salt mix well let that sit for about 30 min then place livers on a screen old window screen works well ,pour on more salt and let dry in full sun, when ready to use brush off salt andyour ready to fish . ive used same hunk of liver to catch 3or 4 fish virg

12. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    THANKS BILLY!
    I HAVE BEEN USING A SIMULAR IDEA FOR A WHILE NOW. TAKE A LARGE LEATHER SEWING NEEDLE. CUT THE SIDE OF THE EYE OUT. HOOK ONTO THE LOOP OF YOUR LEADER AND JUST THREAD THE LIVER DOWN TO YOUR HOOK. WORKS GREAT. :big_smile:

13. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I have seen so many post on keeping liver on your hook, and have tried most of them. But what I have come up with works best for me. first you need good fresh Chicken liver. check the date when you buy it. I keep mine in a small ice bucket and keep the lid on when I am not using it. It will deteriorate much faster when left out in the air, and I use a pair of scissors to cut the liver not a knife, I have found using a knife, it tends to mash the liver and that doesn't help to keep it on your hook. for hooks I use a long shank 1/0 are 2/0 Eagle claw with the Barbs on the shank, they tend to help hold the liver up and keep it from wanting to slide down your hook. when baiting, I use just half a liver on a hook, and after I have it threaded on my hook I take a roll of white sewing thread and pull off about two foot. hold the baited hook in my left hand and just start wrapping your liver with the thread,I even go up and over the top of the eye of the hook. that tends to help keep it from sliding down the shank. It doesn't need to be rapped so tit that it cuts in to your liver,and it does not need to be tied. this is what works for me. and sometime I have took a couple of sheets of Toilet paper and lightly rap my baited hook this will help hold older Liver on and it works great as a chum when that blood soaked paper melts off your hook and floats down stream. hope this helps

14. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    HAVEN'T BEEN ON HERE IN A WHILE BUT I USE CHICKEN LIVER ALOT AND I PUT MINE ON A COOKIE SHEET ( DRAIN MOST OF THE BLOOD OUT)SPREAD OUT AND COVER WITH GARLIC POWDER AND LEAVE IT IN THE SUN A COUPLE HRS( ON A GOOD AND WARM DAY) AND THEN TURN IT OVER AND REPEAT WHOLE PROCESS AND THEN PUT BACK IN THE BUCKET AND WHEN READY TO FISH THE LIVER IS DRIED SOME WITH AN AROMA YOU CAN SMELL FOR A WAYS AND IT STAYS ON THE HOOK WELL. I HAVE CAUGHT CATFISH AND USE THE SAME BAIT OVER AND CAUGHT ANOTHER A FEW TIMES. IT STAYS ON WELL.

15. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have always used sewing thread. if wound tightly around the liver you really have to work to get the liver off when your done. rubberbands inside of golf balls work well to. they are really long and if you stretch them as you wind it around the liver it seems to tighten back up to retract to keep bait on

16. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have always used a 4/0 long shank hook as you are hooking it on twist it each time you hook through. I have caught more than one fish useing the same bait. I can cast them 40 or 50 yards without looseing them. And I use half of a liver at a time that way the little one can't get it. Worked for me for many years. Hope this helps!

17. fishn247

fishn247 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Livers are my favorite bait when going for eater size channel. I've tried many ways of rigging them and this is what works best for me. I always make sure they are as fresh as possible then either use a small egg weight or no weight depending on situation, a snap swivel, and treble hook. Take the hook and poke the eye up through the middle of the liver and let it hang over the hooks lightly then put the hook on the snap swivel. You can get a pretty good cast without losing the bait. Hope this works for you guys and good luck.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use pantyhose BUT I cut the first peice the toe stick in the liver tie knot an top . moving on up tie knot in pantyhose drop in liver tie anuther knot . Make all my liver pouches before fishing . stick a hook through one at bank side and i am done .:cool2:

19. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I love to use liver for catfishing, but I too frequently have trouble with it staying on the hook. I usually use the sewing thread method or I will pack the liver in garlic salt and leave it in the sun for a couple hours. It will harden enough to where it will stay on if you use little or no weight. Also, Turkey livers seem to have a little more consistency to them and work just as well, if not better. One more trick I do is to buy a package of cheap hot dogs, cut em into appropriate sized chunks and stick em in with the livers and let em soak up some blood. They stay on the hook much better and seem to work just fine! I have also had luck with chicken breast (although it is a little more expensive). Cut it in strips and soak it in garlic salt or even cherry kool aid powder overnight. Or if fishing in current, use it plain and just hook it through the end of the strip. It will resemble a piece of cutbait in the current. I think catfish just like chicken :smile2: Just my 2 cents.