How to Keep Chicken Livers on the Hook

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Catman 1964, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    What have you guys found to be the best way to keep Chicken Livers on the hook. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Try Using Small Rubber Bands.

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use a treble hook work pretty but u can also use panty hose

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Make sure you use fresh liver ( unfrozen if possible ).
    Cut with scissers ( a good tip I learned here ).
    Run a circle hook through it two to four times.
    Lob it out when you cast, don't fling it.
    Fresh liver can stay on your hook for quite a while if you are careful.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I have had great success usein an elastic thread sold at craft stores. Wind it around a good gob of liver good and snug, break it off and cast away. No need to lob it. It will stay on. Hope this helps.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Keep your liver cool, it falls apart if it gets warm. You don't need to put a huge piece of liver on the hook. A catfisheman friend suggested when I started using a piece about the size of your first thumb joint. That's what I did when using liver.

But, the best advice is get a castnet, catch bream or shad, and get out of the liver for bait business. Its cheap, but messy.

7. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    keep it cold is the best bet but if your gonna be out for a while where you cant keep it cold try adding some vinegar to it makes the liver stiffen up a little

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Big George Has The Right Trick.

9. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used panty hose for years. Its cheap and it will hold the livers on real well. I take a small rubber band, like they give to people wearing braces on there teeth, or as small as you can get, cut a 3 x 3 piece of panty hose, bait my treble hook, and set the baited hook down in a pocket in the panty hose. Then pul;l the edges of the panty hose up around the neck of the hook and wrap the rubber around and around till tight. You can also take a reel of dental floss, and wrap and tie at the top instead of rubber band.

10. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    If I'm using fresh liver I found that the best way for me is to put a trebble on a snap-swivel. Unsap the trebble from it, and the liver onto the shank a few times, then snap the trebble back on.

If you have cured them right, just use a circle, or a khale threaded onto it several time. I can toss it without worries of it flying off.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i just use the old fashioned baitholder style hooks be gentle hooking them and lob insted of really slinging em

12. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm a bit of a bait slinger at times and use to have the same problem. So i just take a worse spool of extra fishing i had and just cut a piece of and tied the liver on the the hook. It can be a bit of a pain at times but not nearly as worse as losing chicken livers left and right

13. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    Big George has the right idea I use elastic thread and I never lose livers.

14. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    When all else fails take it throw it in a blender then into a container add cornstrach until it is like peanut butter then add cattail fuzz until it is a punch bait.Then punch a # 4 or #2 treble hook in it and lob her out.
    Loop

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I carry a spool of sewing thread in my tackle box.When I use liver I break of a piece of thread about a foot long and just wrap it around the liver fairly snug.No need to tie it. good luck what ever you use.

16. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    take a thiner wire hook and thread it on a couple of times.

17. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    i have tried turkey livers and they well as well and stay on the hook, they are a little harder to get

18. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I just cure mine and never have to worry about it. Once they are cured they stay on the hook (any type) and catch just as many cats as raw liver with out all the mess.

19. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sewing thread,about a foot,and just wrap..no muss,no fuss..works like a charm,although I do have a problem wrapping with thread on circle hooks,but I usually use cut-bait on those..when I do use liver,it is just to find out if there is ANYTHING out there...
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

20. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    A tip that I got off this web site from another post that works well. Take about 8" of sewing thread and wrap it around the liver, doesn't need to be tied and works great. I use it on stink bait also, if the brand I am using has fiber in it.

Jim