How to Jug fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Johnny B, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    :0a36::0a35:Iv'e never jug fished but I was curious on how to: I always start fishing at the begining of a dam and float about two miles downstream. The water is about 3 feet average and wanted to give it a shot. Do you just tie 3 feet of line off of a gallon jug and bait it or do you use weights and for what? Any advise for more effective ways to catch more or where to fish them??:confused2:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I take a jug of any size (Depens on what your baiting it with and what your going for) I usually use a 24 oz. bottle. but when i go for flathead i use a gallon or 2 liter. I take a red clay brick and drill a hole in it and tie a line to that ans the onep the bottle and tie a nut of washer to my hook like and weight line and place them in the bottle and tie a hook on the jug i use a regular j hook but some time si use a circle or kahle!
    good luck:0a26:

3. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I am in the smae boat ur in. I am going to try it myself I think you would set some at different levels etc. One at three one at 5 etc to see where your getting the bites. Spray the inside of the 20 ounce pop bottles up to milk jugs with a spray paint of choice. Weight wise up to you...Where you going?

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fish on the Fox River right after the Dayton damn ( I don't know if your familiar with these parts) and float down in a canoe hitting some holes until I get to the Illinois river. I'm sure I can cover more water with jugs and catch more fish!

5. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never jug fished myself but there is a sponsor of the BOC Wild Wolf Products http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/. I went to the site and watched some of the tutorials for the products and it may be of some use. May even have some products or ideas on what to use. Hope this helps.

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just put 2 1/2 leader too jug and throw it out were the river narrows so the fish are cungested togather. hope that helps.

7. eufaulacat

eufaulacat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Go down to walmart and buy some swimming noodles in the color you want...cut them about a foot long...I use braided line on my floats...take a large needle and thread the line through the eye of needle...with the noodle standing up...pass the needle up from the bottom out the side a couple inches up...then go up a inch or two and pass the needle through to the other side...then drop down a inch or so....passing the needle back through to the bottom....remove line from needle and tie a slip knot pulling tight....the reason I tie my floats this way is when a fish gets on the float will stand up.....I also put reflective tape around my floats...the lenght of line can vary...some of mine have as much as 25 feet...the lead will be determined by the amount of curret or wind..the reason I like noodles is that you can wrap ur line around them and stick the hook in the float and it will not un roll...I also put mine in a laundry bag for storage ...while fishing if the line is too long you can shorten it by forming a double loop and puting it back over the flot...I hope this helps...

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If the water is only 3 or 4 ft deep 1 ft is enough or 2 ft at the most. Fish feed on top more then people give them credit for. Shoot for 30+ years we only had 3ft of line out even in 40ft of water. And we caught boat loads of fish .
    Also no weight just a hook and bait. But If our going to use weight use just enough to keep the bait down.
    Pete

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Dollar store pool noodles. Cut them into 18" lengths.I use coated trot line cut to different lengths A weight and circle hook. Whan I jug I will use about 25 of these. They fit nice in your cooler and are easy to transport. Now I only jug if I'm plannein on doing a fishfry for thhe guys that work for me otherwise it's rod and reel for me.

John

10. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I have pics of the jugs I use in my picture album you can take a look if you would like some good ideas for good swim noodle jugs. You can jug fish just about anywhere but be careful setting them deep more than 10 feet the oxygen level of the lake may not be sufficient to sustain a fish for a long period of time. They can be free floated with little to no weight or you can weight them as show in my pics. The weights I use are PVC sections packed with sand (about 2 lb). They don't get hung up like lot of sinkers do. I can also store them easily in my boat without getting everything tangled without using rugger bands or tape as some use. And when you fish them just unwind the leader bait up and toss them out they will unwind until they hit bottom or run out of line.

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for all the replys and I'm definately gonna try next week when I get out... I'm not using these to keep the fish I would just like to catch more and get a better PB for this year. I always release my fish and I'll keep everone posted. Oh and the swimming noodle is a great idea!:big_smile:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also if your looking to make up jugs that are built to last and works great. Even has a spool on them to adjust the depth of line if you have extra line on them. We sell our kits to make the best on the market.
    Pete
    Wildwolfproducts.com

13. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Heres what we've been using this year with good results. Motts light apple juice jugs, square 64(?)oz. These stack great in old milk crates. We tie 250lb +/- trotline cord around the neck. 3'-6' of line is plenty most of the time. We like a big 3/0 barrel swivel tied 1' up from the end with a 1-3oz egg sinker above it. Depending on what size fish and bait we're using a 1/0-6/0 stainless hook goes on the business end. If we're targeting bullheads or smaller cats ie:1-2lb channel sometimes we'll tie 2 or 3 1/0-2/0 hooks on each oneand skip the weight and swivel or sometimes mix them up too between the jugs/setups. Dont forget in Illinois there is a 50 hook maximum whether singly or in aggregate, ie: 2 one hook rod and reel setups and you can only have 48 other hooks out per recreational fishing license. All fishing devices over 2 or devices left unattended must be tagged/labeled with the owners name, address and phone number. White sided cardboard works great in the clear juice jugs. We label our jugs with the cardboard inside sealed from the water/elements. Looks to last for years. When we're done we just cut the line at the knot and drop the whole rig into the bottle as long as the lines dry so it wont ruin the cardboard label. Baits depend alot on the fish/size fish you want. Worms on occasion, cut shad, beef liver, live bluegill, shrimp, crawdads, ivory soap,spam etc. Good luck, hope this helped a little.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'm gonna try the apple juice jug with the 200 lb. trot line, a barrel swivel, Two ounce egg, and a 7/0 circle and use 4 inch chunks of fresh carp and make about 10 of these to start and see how it goes! Thanks for the ideas guys and wish me luck. I'm goin out on Tuesday...my 22nd B Day and hopefully get a PB!!:big_smile::wink:

15. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    AHH to be 22 again, worlds your oyster,lol. Good luck and happy birthday. We've tried circle hooks before on set lines, pros and cons. They do seem to cause a little more damage on longer soaks. Maybe some of the other members have had a different experience or know a few tricks or tweaks to stop that? If your going to be right there with your jugs they may work great for you. Carp meat is a good bait, asian carp works great too if your unlucky enough to have some around you. We've switched to asian on our set lines and they are hard to beat for that(and kill too). Hides so thick we use scissors or a knife to rebait with.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    good luck with it buddy. I have done several kinds of jugs personally. I still like the 2 liter bottles best personally.

Something to thing of... put some scrap metal like BBs or buckshot or something inside of the jugs. WHen a fish hits them, they rattle and make noise. Real helpful at night. Also... talk to a sign shop and see if they have some scrap reflective tape. Wrap your jugs with that and spray paint them like flourescent orange. Really helpful in finding them!

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I made up this little photo of the jugs i use. I tend to fish with 18 jugs and free float with them in the boat. You will also want to consider getting yourself a hook of some sort for easy retrieval of the jugs instead of leaning over the side of the boat all the time!

For the hook, I used an extendable paint roller handle and mounted a hook of some scrap metal I had laying around. You can use anything. I really like the extendable paint rollers because they can be made real long and compact for storage when not in use.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  18. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    We use to paint ours, use reflective tape, even used orange laundy detergent jugs too. What we found was they were too visible to johnny sneakum and we ended up fishing for other folks. A few times we lost jugs to sneakum's. It does help at night though in helping you find them to have them more visible.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks again for all the great info...