How to install a battery charger?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by vince, Jan 19, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How hard is it to install a battery charger on a boat? what would be the ideal charger for two marine batteries?

I have a 25hp yamaha and a 55lb thrust trolling motor. The battery drains quik in about 4 hours of trolling so would a battery charger help me out with the trolling? How does a charger exactly work?

Thanks vince

I have alot of questions but this is the place to learn.

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Installing a battery charger on a boat is easy.... find a mounting spot,,, fasten it down,,,, and hook it up. There are several different manufacturers that make 2 and 3 bank on-board battery chargers. Will an onboard battery charger assist you in getting more trolling time... in a word NO unless you have a long extension cord.

Do you have deep cycle marine batteries installed on your boat? Are you getting the batteries fully charged before you go out? Are your battery connections tight? What size wires are you using between your battery and trolling motor and how long a run?

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Dang you ask alot of questions:roll_eyes:

4. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey oldprowler

ya i have two deep cycle batteries and i do charge them before i go out
    doesnt a charger recharge the batteries..dont i just have to cruise around with the motor and somehow that charges the batteries up to full..

vince

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your motor must have a charging system on it. some do, some don't. What I would do is post the make, model, SN here and address it to Bobpaul or Bubbakat. They can tell you if your motor had a charging system and if it is no longer functioning. I'm not sure many 25HP motors had the charging system.

6. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    hey awshucks

the 25hp yamaha 4 stroke 2004 is hooked up to the battery and this battery has never ran out of juice... its the battery up front that i want to have charged up...

vince

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
  8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    BobPaul: yep I sure do ask a lot of questions. Just trying to even the playing field so the experts can come in and give a semi-intelligent answer to the real problem. LMAO

Vince:
    Any battery charger has to get the energy to recharge your trolling motor battery from somewhere. This energy can come from an extension cable, the alternator (generator) on your boat motor, solar battery charger, or an onboard generator (there may be more sources that I did not list).

You can determine if you are getting the trolling time that the battery should give you by dividing the amp hour rating of the battery by the maximum amp draw of your trolling motor. If this figure is in excess of your actual time then you have a problem. Connections may be bad at the battery or the trolling motor, the connecting wire may be too small, the battery may be faulty and not taking a complete charge.

There are many posts about battery care and maintenance that can give you lots of valuable information that you can use now and in the future.