Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read where a person can take fish remains and grind them and use them for bait by freezing the ground fish in cubes with the hook already in the frozen fish.
I have some questions:
1. How and when do you put the hook into the bait.
2. Is the barb of the hook exposed.
3. Obviously, you have to change hooks every time you rebait. What is the best way to handle rebaiting. Can that be done without taking the time to retie the hook.
4. How long does the unused bait last before it is too thawed to use.

Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The beat advise I can give you is don't mess with it. There are way to many other baits that produce well. Try chumming the area you are fishing with it, I think that would be your better choice.:wink:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've never heard of it,but this would be how I would do it if I did it.I would use ice trays.Pour your concoction in,then cover it with that plastic wrap stuff.You could then put the hooks in at an angle leaving the barb exposed.I would use snap swivels.That way you don't have to retie every time.I learned this little trick a long time ago for something totally different but it should work rite nicely for this too.Take a small ice chest and put a layer of ice then a little rock salt and then more ice and more salt.Put your bait down under that and it'll last a while.Anyway,thats how I would do it if I did it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
here what i would do. toss the fish remains in the trash, and get you some nice fresh bluegill or shad for bait. use them live, or even cut bait. i wouldnt mess with this concoction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.