How to identify engine in 77 Firebird

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Love Them Cats, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I just bought a 77 Firebird and I'm trying to figure out what size engine it has?
    How can you tell if it's a 350, 400 or some other size?

Ken

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look for a casting Number on it. They are in different spots, on different engines. If it's a pontiac 400 I think there will be numbers on the block under the head on the drivers side. Post a picture of it and I can probably I.D. it for ya'. call a machine shop. They'll be able to tell you exactly where the casting numbers are on each engine.

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    best would be to post a pic, being a 77 could even have a 403 olds in it, should be able to id with a pic though

4. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys.

I did notice a stamp on it the other day and I think it said Y9, I don't know if thats the stamp you look for or not?

I haven't really had time to check everything, just enough to get it driveable?

I did order a water pump for it the other day for a 350 and it wasn't the same. The one that did match was for a 400 small block?

I'll try to get some pictures of the moter posted soon?

Ken

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Ken,
    Didnt they have a 402 cu inch and 455 sd!

6. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you have a base model Firebird and not a Trans Am then it is probably one of the Pontiac 5.0l 301 engines. I had a base model 77 Camaro and had the 5.0l 305.

If you think it is the stock engine check the code list in the glove box for the "L**" number, then do a Google on that RPO code and you should find the engine.

7. TruckerFisher

TruckerFisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    If It Is A 400 Small block It Is A Chevy Engine! No such animal as a small block Pontiac! They are all big blocks from the 350 to the 455. 8th digit in VIN is engine size but that is assuming it hasn't been changed. Hope this helps! TF