How to hook live shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Catfishnewbie08, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey ya'll. Was just wondering how you should hook a live shad and not kill it right away and would stay on the hook while casting?

2. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I always hook them half way between tail and dorsal fin and they seem to do fine on smaller shank hooks in moderate current.

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    depends on how you want him to swim and how lively. through the nose and he will stay down usually, through the belly{behind the gut pocket through the flesh) he will swim up but get tired faster, you can hookem through the top past the backfin a little becarefull not to hit the spine, youll know if you do. i mainly fish herring but i do use threadfin and gizzards also, this is just my way. also sometimes i will hook them up through the roof of the mouth through the little bone/cartlidge and out between the nostrils.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I always hook mine through the nose from the side. just go through the holes. I have never had much luck with them living hooking them through the flesh but know several people that hook them through the flesh and wont use them any other way. just try sev. different ways and see which way you like the most.

5. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Thanks guys. I was just curious since I want to try using live shad and compare the results to cut shad.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I always hook mine through the nostrils also .

7. johnr

johnr New Member

State:
    nc
    I have found that hooking any larger live bait through the back seems to work best. Yes nose hooking is easier but a fish eats the other fish headfirst so the nose hooking puts the hook inside of the mouth where as dorsal fin area the back puts the hook closer to the outside of the mouth making a hook set easier. To prevent the bait from being killed this way I use a thin wire hook 6/0 + wide gap style. I also believe the thinner hook makes the bait look more natural as a thin wire hook is harder for them to see. Leftenant who fishes with me believes in the 8/0 10/0 hooks and catches fish however those hooks are as thick as a #2 pencil lead making them very easy to be seen. I was fishing a rock quarry a few years ago and the water was very clear I tossed out a minnow and this large bass swims up to it looks it over and swims away! ~!#$%^&* I tossed a minnow in without a hook and bam he ate it now! The same for fishing for Kings at the coast you must use a smaller harder to see hook or no strikes.

8. sloride

sloride New Member

State:
    Hartselle, Alabama
    also,match your hook to the size bait you're using....most people use too much hook.

9. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    How you know its too much hook?

10. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hook mine thru the backs, they do pretty good that way.

11. Larry D

Larry D New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hook mine thru the mouth and come out between the nostrils in the soft patch with the hook faceing up. They seem to live twice as long as going thru the nostrils.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    On my smaller shad I will hook either way, I do like through the back a little better as they seem to kick more, but you do have to change bait more often (if flathead fishing you dont wanna wait more than 20 minutes anyways) On my larger shad (over 6 inches) I thread them similar to what many saltwater guys do. I run the hook in the mouth and out the gills. I then hook them through the back and run the line all the way through. I do this 1-3 times depending on the size of the bait but usually only once. I then hook them in the back somewhere, making sure not to hit any vitals. I mainly fish the Ohio River and I like this method in the current because it keeps them facing into the current, making them swim more and cause more commotion. I have kept them alive for over an hour this way.

Another thing to help keep them alive when fishing deep. If you are bringing in to check bait do not reel fast. If you bring them up to quick it will kill them.

I'm not sure if my method was clear so I threw together a drawing in paint, hope this makes it clearer!

Attached Files: